Need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you’re hitting the pedal and getting no response then it seems like a load problem. So either you have a really clogged exhaust or the trans is slipping like crazy. Does the rpm rise when you hit the pedal or does it bog down?

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The article is 36 years old, but it states "Federal law allows the agency to fine repair shops $2,500 for each catalytic converter they remove, although it is not a violation to manufacture the kits, nor is it against the law for an owner to install a kit.". Based on the article, it's only a state violation. It says the "kits" are "essentially a piece of pipe and clamps". Sounds simple enough!

Of course, federal law could have changed since then...

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a federal offense to remove a catalytic converter that is functional from a motor vehicle that will be used on public roads. That goes for private owners as well as shops

OP
OP
Eric08

Eric08

Reaction score
If you’re hitting the pedal and getting no response then it seems like a load problem. So either you have a really clogged exhaust or the trans is slipping like crazy. Does the rpm rise when you hit the pedal or does it bog down?

If I’m running 35-45 and I put it to the floor It will just steadily climb but sometimes it will kick in and take off. I got a code for a temp sensor and changed it out, now my bag light has come on. The battery is rather old and the plugs are a little 100k, so I may change out a lot of things soon. But I do plan on taking it to a good mechanic.