Need stiffer rear suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

falcnjet

Reaction score
My Expedition: 2013, XLT, HD Tow package. Just bought a new travel trailer. It's a little bit heavier than my previous one (about 1,000 lbs heavier). I tow with a weight distribution hitch and the trailer wt. is 85% of the truck's tow rating. I feel like the rear suspension is not handling the tongue weight well and was wondering if there is an after-market way of stiffening it. Dealer says no, but I'm wondering if that's just because they don't add that kind of mods there. What's the word on this?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Per Ford, your weight distribution hitch should return 50% of load to the front axle when configured properly. Stiffening the rear is not a substitute for ensuring that you are returning sufficient load to the front axle. You can measure the fender gap to spitball the WDH setup, but that won't tell you how much weight is on the tongue. I suggest visiting a scale to make sure everything is setup properly before adding aftermarket parts. Below is a link to a custom spring manufacturer. Good luck.

https://www.springworks.com/custom-coil-springs/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni