Need your $0.02...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only actual upgrades I saw are:
· Updated high-volume oil pump to ensure proper pressure to the VVT on 3-valve applications
· Nitrided valves improve durability and reduce friction
· Exclusive JASPER piston design provides stronger ring lands and a graphite coating to prevent dry start-up and piston scuffing
· Moly rings are installed to reduce friction for increased durability through reduced cylinder wall wear

is there any other "upgrade" i am missing?
thanks

jg
I doubt if those "moly" rings are any improvement and a Ford special high volume pump? I would bet they just rebuild the stock ones and put a stiffer pressure relief spring in them if that. It reminds me of those Redhead power steering boxes that they make sound like it has all new parts blah blah, paint them red, and stick a high price on them when all they are is another rebuilt PS box.

Last edited:

Linksvu

Reaction score
I agree with most points above, I would go with both the motor and tranny. I've only down this level of work on Jeeps, so can't tell you if swapping them together is a done more work, but I would think since they have already been married it will help ensure they both up smoothly.

Besides, if you current tranny is working well, maybe you could get $100 for it. That would make the delta only $250+time.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sell the whole Expedition as a mechanics special or parts. $1700 is too much for a used 3V engine. Most of them are boat anchors. If you have a second vehicle, shop around for a wrecked donor vehicle. I think the body has to come off the frame to swap engines. It's over 8 hours labor.

Just an engine hoist and about an hour and 20 mins and I can have that engine out and on a stand. No body removal at all. Some dealers do that even to change exhaust manifold gaskets and studs but they are nuts and like money for labor.
You can even pull the engine without removing the hood. Done it on the last two I did.

I'd get the trans too.

And Jasper....not exactly what I would call high quality.
I have a local shop that does rebuilds with at least 12/15000 warranty for much better price than reman engines you can buy and I trust them to do it right.

Jasper and their turning one rod bearing or one crank journal....having standard or .010 bearings on one throw and .020 on another.
Some will argue that is just fine...BUT I'll pass.
We have joked for decades...."Jasper- a name synonymous with quality". Just like we do harbor freight now.

Last edited: