Need your advice for a better ride than my Explorers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You want and imo need the 3.73s and the elsd is a boon no matter what. Tow package can be optioned separately now, but I see no reason to do without those upgrades given needs can change, even to the point of selling for a different xyz need in life. Tow pack will be huge on resell.

ccd has a great ride, if not a bit buick like. It took a bit for me to get used to the feel of the body floating off the frame feel. Best way I know to describe it. I find it great now, I do wish the sport setting allowed standard trans shifting and it could be defaulted. That takes the floatiness away, but the trans shifts all stupid for daily use. Fine on interstate since not much shifting.

hankooks are trash, you’ll ditch those soon enough though.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there. Year 22 expys ride on ccd is much improved over the pre 21s. It doesn't float as much, and though it's still very soft and buoyant, doesn't have as much sway. I think it's a bit better than the gms or wagoneer, at least on the highway as it balances isolation and control better than those do. I wasn't able to test an expy without the ccd, but I hear it's even firmer than the base setup in the pre 21s, which were already pushing the "too" firm line. Unfortunately, I forgone my next expy for a cx9. That vehicle rides very nice btw.

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I forgone my next expy for a cx9. That vehicle rides very nice btw.
Interesting. We just traded our CX9 for a 2022 Expy with CCD. Indeed, the CX9 is a fine car - both interior fitting and driving fun without the associated price tag of some "luxury" brands of the same size and caliber. I did not drive any 2018 to 2021 prior to purchasing the Expy, just went on reviews and need for a full size vehicle but was not keen on GM or Jeep and got mine at a really good price. That said, the CDD is quite taut in the 22. I am surprised how little body lean it has for its size - both under braking and cornering. You do however feel bumps a little more than in the luxobarges lexus or Infiniti QX 80. From a driver perspective though, I love the taut handling. ALL in all, still a very comfortable drive and ride

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the price, the cx9 feels like a euro luxury car how it balances its ride, handling, and quietness. And the build quality is insane, if a bit fragile. Already a door dent and chip in the windshield and not even 3k miles on her. The 22 expy I tested was a kr ranch max and I thought the ride was better than the cx9, with a rele good balance btw body control and compliance, but the build quality and body tightness was far inferior. My 18 expy ltd on base springs rode very close to the cx9, a tad firmer. On its best day, that expy was the smoothest car we've owned, on it's worse day, it was the roughest car, you never knew which you were getting day to day lol. The point you made about the the little imperfections maybe due to the 22in wheels, but that's what I felt about my dads escalade, and all new fs suvs for that matter. The wagoneer maybe the best of the Americans at the little stuff though. Ironically enough, We had an 18 armada, Idk how much different it is from the qx80, it was a floater but I thought I felt too much little things in that truck and way too much sway and bobbing(compared to my 18 expy). I havent driven the lexus(and new sequoia aren't at dealers yet) to compare but I want to.