"New" 05 Expy update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pastorjeep

Reaction score
Ok, so I bought this from the original owner with 219K miles for a couple hundo because it was doing the 2nd gear bog and had a multi cyl misfire. It was clean in and out with rear seats looking unused. Did the valve body rebuild and the trans is shifting great. The plug wells all had moisture in them with the 4/8 full of water. New sp546 and cop's and she runs great. Took a 3 hr drive yesterday and it was maintaining ECT 190% on scan tool, cats were at 1250/1400, in 95 degree weather. Was pleasantly surprised at the "good" fuel mileage! Lol. Couple things left to do to get it just right for her. Clean/polish headlight lenses, replace turn light switch, fix drivers door molding, and find the clicking in rear a/c. It does the clicking when I adjust fan speed not when adjust temp or flow location? All are basic things that come up on any search (except the fan speed noise) so should be simple fixes. The PO said the engine has never had chains/phasers and right now it is quiet and running smooth. Though we have had a hot rough idle a couple times, it goes away. After the rough idle it will code p0420/430 so it will need the whole bullet proofing. Just not sure I want to put the money in a vehicle this old. I can do the work,but now we are looking to get her a third gen since she likes this one so much. Full disclosure we have six kids and she has been driving a E150 for years. So this thing drives like a dream to her! Two questions...what is better about the 3rd Gen, and could I get away with chains and oil pump since the phasers are quiet and the PO was religious about oil changes?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it a 4x4 ? Anyway, I would run 10w-30 or 10w-40 synthetic oil in it, and Motorcraft filter. How do the lower ball joint dust boots look ? If it hasn't had new ones installed I'm sure it's due for all 4 corners. There's no filter in the rear AC unit, so the fan could pick up anything and get damaged. If you do the chains and oil pump I would definitely do the phasers, since they are the weak link in the whole system, especially the '05 -'07s . I wouldn't want to be that deep into the engine and skimp on parts. You might pull the VCT solenoids out of the valve covers and inspect their screens and give them a good cleaning anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Camshaf...id=1593455389&sprefix=Ford+5.4,aps,178&sr=8-6

OP
OP
P

pastorjeep

Reaction score
Ball joints look original with dry rooted boots. I see the PO put new struts on and sway bar links. I just changed the oil with Delo 15w40 full synthetic and we have not had the hot rough idle since. We will see. I think I will pull the VCT's after I order some replacement grommets.

MasterX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gen 3s seem noticably peppier as i have an 05 and an 09, the transmission in the 07+ is much better geared and makes better use of the 5.4 3V engines torque curve, and thus also gets a bit better mileage.

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
The 07 has the six speed auto, so no doubt it's a bit peppier than the 05. I was looking for an 07 or later because of that, but happened upon a very well kept 05 for $8K with 99,8xx miles on it. Had a "multiple misfire" code and a couple little things, but a plug change fixed it. Every 07+ I looked at was $10-12K with 140-180K miles on it. EPA rating was the same for both, though I would think the six speed would be better for towing due to keeping the engine in a good torque curve more often. I'm maxed out with a 7K camper, but it still does reasonably well when towing as long as I keep speeds below 65 mph. I usually set my cruise at 62-63 mph (when not in hilly terrain). Haven't taken it to the mountains yet, but I don't mind going a bit slower up and down big hills. Was using my 2003 Tundra work truck to pull a 6K camper, but it has a 4.7L V-8 instead of the 5.4L. Better gearing at 3.91 (I have 3.73 tow package), but that's not enough to make much difference. The 5.4L Expy pulls the heavier camper about like the Tundra pulled the smaller one, so I expect it to be adequate in the mountains. Tundra slowed to 45 pulling up the Saluda Grade in NC, in third gear -- never down-shifted to second. I-26 doesn't go beside the Saluda Grade railroad track, but crosses the same area and has about the same slope -- a 5% grade -- near the town of Saluda, NC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze