New 2022, Cannot figure out Wireless CarPlay....help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob4092xx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all!

Finally received our 2022 Limited tonight. 15" screen. Cannot for the life of me figure out how to activate Wireless CarPlay. I have an iPhone 11 and have successfully connected per the iPhone. However, everytime I try it on the 15" radio display, I get a message that states, "CarPlay on your iPhone is disabled."

I have read the Owner's Manual over and over and it doesn't help whatsoever. The manual has about three sentences and that is all.

I have been playing with this for hours.....argh! Can someone who has successfully linked your iPhone and Radio together please help me? Step by step if possible would be great!

OP
OP
R

rob4092xx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wooops. I figured it out. Had to hook it up with a USB cable to get past that message. Ironically, I cannot tell any sound quality difference between wireless and wired CarPlay. They both sound the same.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wooops. I figured it out. Had to hook it up with a USB cable to get past that message. Ironically, I cannot tell any sound quality difference between wireless and wired CarPlay. They both sound the same.

I'm pretty sure with wireless CP or AA you need to connect with the USB for initial setup and then can do wireless after that. I have a new RAM and it was the same.

bbenz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is my understanding that even when wired the sound still goes through Bluetooth. The wired connection was originally just for pushing the display from the phone to the screen. The wireless setup uses both Bluetooth and WiFi to get the data from the phone to the head unit. Bluetooth is still for the audio and WiFi is for the display.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is my understanding that even when wired the sound still goes through Bluetooth. The wired connection was originally just for pushing the display from the phone to the screen. The wireless setup uses both Bluetooth and WiFi to get the data from the phone to the head unit. Bluetooth is still for the audio and WiFi is for the display.

One annoying thing I noticed in my new RAM is that when AA is connected wirelessly and using a WiFi connection the phone doesn't want to let go of it and switch to another WiFi network. I have to turn off the vehicle and even open the door for it to let go.

bbenz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One annoying thing I noticed in my new RAM is that when AA is connected wirelessly and using a WiFi connection the phone doesn't want to let go of it and switch to another WiFi network. I have to turn off the vehicle and even open the door for it to let go.
That doesn't surprise me because AA would stop working once you switch WiFi connections.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the same thing, but when my Expy was in getting a new bank 2 catalytic converter replaced, I had a 2021 F150 with Sync 4 and the big screen. I did not have to plug my phone into USB when using wireless carplay. I didn't spend too much time on it since I don't have wireless carplay in my 2018 Expy, but I thought it was weird that if I wanted to use music from my phone I had to disconnect from carplay and go Bluetooth. I might have been doing something wrong though.

bbenz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the initial setup of wireless AA (unsure how Carolyn works) you have to connect your phone up then after the initial setup it will with without ever connecting a cable. Regarding the use of music from your phone do you know if the music was playing through the Sync system or through carplay?

lakerr

Reaction score
You should be able to set up Wireless Carplay through the FordPass app, as that's how my dealer set it up for me this morning and no cable was involved. It asked me if I wanted to accept Apple Carplay on the screen and was connected once done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360