New Aluminum Radiator Issues - 2011 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought this radiator for my 2011 Expedition:

https://www.radiatorexpress.com/product/227790

Model 227790, which now appears to be superseded by model 228897 (https://www.radiatorexpress.com/product/228897)

Anyhow, I bought this at the end of May, received early June, and it sat until about a month ago, when I decided to commence my continually-being-proven-dumb-idea to replace the radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump and upgrade the radiator as part of my coolant flush.

This has been a nightmare project, what with breaking the electric fan housing, breaking the plastic frame/housing for the A/C condenser, and the overall (to me, at least) ridiculous amount of work this has been.

Once I got in there, I discovered my idler pulleys (2 of the 3) and my belt tensioner pulley were pretty much shot, so I bought replacements, installed those too, fought with the horrid Ford hose clamps (not to mention the millions of stupid plastic "Christmas Tree" push pins, etc. The project from hell.

Anyhow, tonight, I was trying to seat the lower radiator hose on the new radiator (this is the one with the 90-degree plastic elbow and C-clip retainer, and could not get a positive lock on that hose.

I discovered that the radiator inlet/outlet is different from stock.

The stock radiator lower inlet/outlet has a single rounded nub on the outboard side of the inlet/outlet that lines up with the stock hose.

This new radiator has two "t-square" nubs/tabs 180 degrees from each other, at the top and bottom of the outlet:
radiator_4e57da2ccd653c9d479843dd4750d1672137b8d1.jpg
I've emailed customer service at Radiator Express to see what they have to say, but I don't see how I'm going to get this to work unless I'm somehow able to mill/grind those nubs/tabs off.

Has anyone ran into this issue in the past?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360