New caliper won't retract

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, the spring should be in place. I think a lot of people making brake job videos on these Expeditions/Navigators/F150s don't even notice the spring during the job and it gets lost and forgotten. But if you are having a hard time getting the caliper pistons to retract using a C-clamp or spreader, you must have other issues in the brake system. If you can re-create the binding pad issue, try cracking the line loose up at the master cylinder and see if you get the same pressure relief that you described above. It may be an issue with the master cylinder itself. When you take the master cylinder reservoir filler cap off is it any easier? Are the rear calipers hard to retract too ? Or the other front caliper? Are the retract springs missing off all the calipers ?

Motorcraft brake parts BRPK 5756 kit ....

EbkMa3.jpg

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always forget about that spring until I hear it pop off and fly across the garage :). I always manage to find it and pop it back in place at the end of the brake job.

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I can see it attaches to the inboard pad on the back through a little tab that is perpendicular to the back of the tab? I'm pretty sure my pads don't have this tab? I'll check in the morning to be sure.

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pulled the wheel off again this morning and, by golly, there was a loop on the back of the pad for the spring, so I installed it. Thanks for that info! I also pulled the other side wheel off, and, as suspected, there is no spring. Also looks like those pads are unevenly worn. I think I'll try a new caliper on that side and see if it makes any difference before I go any further.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See there you go. You always, I repeat always replace calipers or in old school days wheel cylinders for drum brakes in pairs. Hydraulic pressure will always be biased towards the worn side. A new seal or piston will usually be the stronger side, as in theroy, the tighter sealed up side will draw more brake pressure. In brakes you can't cheat, sometimes you get lucky, but not often. It's such a simple system, but nowadays with Abs, and all kinds of electronics, you gotta change parts in pairs, and with quality parts.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

blue oval guy

Reaction score
Why dont you remove the piston from the caliper and check the square cut seal, it might have rolled from whoever rebuilt it. sounds like an issue with either the internal piston seal or the guides are lot clean and lubed.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If he's got a 4 piston front setup up front like my 2000, he'll never get all 4 out at home, it's tough to do. I've done it on Honda's/ Kawasakis, but it wasn't easy. Usually I'd have to grab one or more piston s with my large duck bill pliers. And pull like crazy. And those pistons were way smaller. He'd more than likely have a leak coming from that piston that had a cocked o ring seal. Easier just to go back to the store and try another caliper.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

gbosin

Reaction score
I had kind of the opposite on my 03. Left front was always leaving tons of brake dust, right side very little. Back right rear was worn to metal on metal, Back left was normal wear. Culprit, right front caliper had a piston stuck, probably from the get go. The right rear and left front were compensating for the loss. All were Napa rebuilds, never again. I should have known when one caliper had the clips installed already and the other didn't and was missing the compression washers. I replaced everything again and wow, what a difference. I hadn't realized all this time that the brakes were that handicapped.
Sounds to me like you have a piston(s) not wanting to retract.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had kind of the opposite on my 03. Left front was always leaving tons of brake dust, right side very little. Back right rear was worn to metal on metal, Back left was normal wear. Culprit, right front caliper had a piston stuck, probably from the get go. The right rear and left front were compensating for the loss. All were Napa rebuilds, never again. I should have known when one caliper had the clips installed already and the other didn't and was missing the compression washers. I replaced everything again and wow, what a difference. I hadn't realized all this time that the brakes were that handicapped.
Sounds to me like you have a piston(s) not wanting to retract.

Yeah, when they're set up correctly they are monster brakes. If the electronic assist kicks in it will bounce you off the dash ....