New Expedition owner- Need help getting the right tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big_John

Reaction score
Hey hey!
Looking for maximum tire fitments and tire suggestions.

Things I'm looking to fulfill:
#1- 10 ply is a MUST
#2- Prefer a "Non-suspension" largest tire fit-
#3- Prefer a RT or Hybrid tire design due to road/mud/sand/dirt/highly slick driving environments

Last week we purchased a 2015 Expedition EL XLT w/ 3.5L Eco boost & tow package to replace our recently wrecked 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD. Needed something to be a reliable family hauler while allowing me to tow trailers/boats/camper to where ever we may need it with payloads upwards to 8,000lbs+ both on road and OFF-road in both dirt, sand and mud which is where I need some help.

Currently this has the stock wheels and tires 275/65/R18

I had 285/75/R16 Federal Xplora RT on my K2500 that fit with some trimming but on this newer SUV i'd rather stray away from the cutting and welding applications if possible. In my ventures of seeking 10 ply tires I came across these as being highly recommended and well reviewed- Kenda Klever RT

I'd like to keep it as close to "stock" ride suspension height as possible for multiple reasons:
#1- I JUST HAD TO BUY A VECHICLE IN THIS CURRENT USED MARKET...
#2- I have young kids 3- one being a 8 month old
#3- less wear on suspension with changed/stressed ride geometry

At the moment I'm very impressed with the Expedition- Power has been shocking both HP & TQ (especially compared to the 6.5 Turbo Diesel)

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put LT275/70-r18 (slightly over 33in) Cooper Discoverer ATP II tires on some slightly aggressively sized 18x9.5 et12 wheels on mine. The diameter and tread pattern are exactly what I was looking for and there isn't any rubbing (yet), although I'm waiting for a 2.5in lift kit to arrive. I wouldn't want to run these as-is very long term since I'm fairly certain they would have issues bottoming out and causing fender lip damage.

Attachments

• 1669-1024.jpg
    1669-1024.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 63

smahaffy

Reaction score
I have 315 Raptor tires on mine! Put a rancho lift.

Attachments

• E1372F76-F75A-4786-90A5-4840F9E4B88D.jpeg
    E1372F76-F75A-4786-90A5-4840F9E4B88D.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 26

CrAzYJoe85

Reaction score
I run a stock size BFG KO2 you can go about 1 inch bigger with not additional mods but then you have to reprogram your speed sensor I live in Minnesota took it on a trip in the rockies off road trails no issues also ran it alot in the city where the pot holes can completely eat a prius I found I like the KO2's because with the stock tire at highway speed if you had to make a quick maneuver due to idiots on the road that it felt like it didn't even have a sway bar because the sidewalls where thin with the upgraded tires It went away completely no sway even when I tried really hard also its snow and mud rated and has a higher mileage life 50k mi

muskytom

Reaction score
Had a '99, '02 and now a '13. Had Continental ContiTrac and while a nice ride, wore quickly and wasn't worth a <insert cuss word> in the rain or snow. Switched to the Cooper Evolution on my '02 (18") and loved them so much I just put them on my '13 (20"). All-season and not aggressive, but great traction in rain/snow and out of the boat landing. Quiet ride on the expressway and you'd think you're riding in Cadillac. My Midas has a deal going on just last week: buy 3 get 1 free. I'm hooked on this tire

bws2015

Reaction score
lol, I'm doing just the opposite, if you were closer I would sell you my 10 plys with aggressive tread that my 15 platinum I just bought came with, I'm going with a smooth quiet highway tire.