New from Wisconsin. 2007 Expedition Misfire issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrschultz15

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Have misfire problems. No codes Engine light was on at one point. Changed plugs and coils. Still misfired. Changed injectors. Still happening. Read that the rocker arms or rollers or whatever they're called could break loose. Pulled valve covers. None broke. There is a ticking at start up but does go away after a few minutes. Vehicle has about 250k on it. Im at a loss on what to look for. Start over and check connectors to coils? Could it be a roller that is maybe starting to fail causing it and the ticking is a warning sign?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Changed plugs and coils. Still misfired. Changed injectors. Still happening.
Another thing to check is the wire harness for coils. I just give the wires a wiggle (while running) to try and reproduce the misfire. Also take wire off the coils and inspect both sides of the connector. (check for loose wires in the connectors)

Welcome to the forum

OP
OP
J

jrschultz15

Reaction score
I used Motorcraft. Didnt want to risk anything with aftermarket. I was thinking it could be loose wiring somewhere. wouldnt that throw some codes? and Its just that loud ticking at start up that goes away after a few minutes of running that gets to me. Someone also suggested exhaust manifold leak but not sure how that would cause a misfire. Is there a way i can check the rollers without having to pull them out?

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Start up rattle is common. May want to have the truck scanned with a professional scan tool, will show more info about misfire rates.

OP
OP
J

jrschultz15

Reaction score
Pulled valve covers. That was fun! NOT. All good in there. Someone suggested cats could be bad. Has 250k on it. I ended up cutting the cats off. 2 of them. Why does Ford do stuff like this?? I had no other ideas. Its loud but seems to idle better. When revving it, it wont go over 3k RPM's. It did this before too. Now I have to put new cats on. Awesome. Anyone have any other ideas before I go through putting new ones on? The 3k rpm revving thing is a big question mark

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jrschultz15

Reaction score
So maybe a connector then? Changed plugs and coils. Had a mechanic friend scan it and nothing was coming up. No engine light and no codes. I dont think his individually graphed each cylinder. But why wouldnt I have an engine light on? Of course now I have the cats off, so I have a light, but that is pretty much for the O2 sensors i unplugged. I forgot to mention that when I would try to drive it, it would start to hake after a while.

Last edited:

Jachniw

Reaction score
I had coils packs go bad on my 2008 (140K). One thing I learned when replacing spark plugs a couple years ago, Ford changed the plug style from the dreaded (prone to snapping) 2 pc to 1 pc plug sometime during 2008. Turns out some models have the old, others the new. Fortunately mine had the newer 1 pc style.

Fast forward to my coil pack replacement....turns out the two plug styles are also different lengths. When I purchased my first set of coils, not knowing the difference, the coils I purchased were shorter and did not fully engage the plug. I found out the hard way. After replacing all 8, fired up the truck and had more misfires than when I started.

After researching several sites and finding out about the lengths, I replaced them (again) with the correct size and all was fixed! Something to look for when buying is reference to "Black Boot" or "Brown Boot".

As for your ticking, if it goes away or at least improves with runtime (heating up), it's probably the exhaust manifold. Mine has been doing it for awhile and I'm just too cheap to drop the cash for the repair.

Good luck!