New head unit install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
After researching through this forums and going through a number of different threads, I’m really just trying to get down to the basic answer.

I want to get rid of the four-inch sync system and upgrade it to a Apple CarPlay double din touchscreen unit. I have plenty of experience in custom wiring so if I need to run some lines To set up a new backup camera that works with the unit that’s not an issue.

What I need to find out is if this is possible to just do an old-school install? I don’t care about the steering wheel controls or the rear controls.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What generation are we talking about?

Assuming under a 2015 you can do pretty much whatever you want. On the 07+ models the harness will just take care of the steering wheel controls and the like as part of the package. RSE is sometimes retained, just depends on exactly what is there and what wiring harness is used. If you're going carplay and all that you're going to want a decent harness as it just makes the job that much easier and clean, less room for error as well. The PAC and Maestro Harnesses will give nav outputs like speed sense, parking brake etc right there instead of running dedicated wires to every point.

"Old School" is technically possible with anything if you want to run new power, accessory, etc but its more effort than its worth in most cases. A 1st or 2nd gen would be closest to old school as you'll get before things got pushed onto CAN.

Existing backup cam can traditionally be integrated into most radios, jusy need to splice in a male RCA plug or purchase an adapter if available for your year and connect it to the right input on your new radio.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not really any options unless you're spending some big money or going to completely rewire the entire system and mount the radio somewhere other than the dash.

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
I guess I don’t understand, what is so special that’s going on with the factory head unit? Is it controlling other systems within the truck. Or are we talking about the area that it’s going to fit into needs some special molded trim piece to make it look right? I’ve dealt with similar things like this in the past where I installed an amp to run the speakers and ran speaker wire and straight from the head unitBut I don’t want to mess anything up if we’re talking about things that are connected to the AC the computer cruise control things of that nature.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It controls quite a bit, there isn't a replacement "kit" for it like the F150. When you remove that display and the trim bezel all of your buttons/controls go with.

If you wanted to do a remotely mounted radio and run dedicated wires its possible, just have to find a suitable place but I can't really imagine anywhere it could be placed and still be able to see the screen without some serious effort.

How much space is below? I haven't been in one in awhile. Perhaps you could figure out a way to mount a single din flip out w android auto? You'll have some cutting to do for sure.

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
When you say " all of your buttons/controls go with" it, are you referencing just the volume, tune and directional arrows or also the A/C controls including the rear controls?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Removing the radio and bezel you lose all of your hvac, climate controlled seats, and radio controls. There is no replacement for this in the expedition for use with aftermarket radios.

This is what goes away.

s-l400.jpg

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Gotcha. I'll report back if I figure something out.

Always a work around but the information gets me a lot closer.

Thank you

TC16XLT

Reaction score
Ok, I went through this, you’re not alone in your frustration [emoji23]

I broke down, purchased these two (links below), a great 5 channel amp, replaced the factory sub in enclosure, all of my speakers ( Kx series Kickers are awesome), spent 3 days, on and off, removing every bit of audio in my ‘16, and finally rewiring all of it. Both of these links will save you an unimaginable amount of time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D9W3CHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tl7tFb20QQFYH

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QU1JIE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Sp7tFbMZ871YD

If I have to keep the crap 4” screen, all I want is the signal. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk