New head unit install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with having the feature? You do or don't want to view while driving

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's wrong with having the feature? You do or don't want to view while driving

not the point. I don't want bureaucrats controlling my life anytime, anywhere, anyhow. I'm sure not going to reward them by buying their crap.

feel free to keep your "tin foil" aspersions to yourself. I have heard it before.

my life, my car, my money.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand so I can help u...i don't judge... and i won't be helping or trying to help u again

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im in the mood to judge today so I'll step in!

Essentially all major manufacturers in this category employ some sort of safety interlock for video playback and the like. Some even restrict access to in depth settings like Bluetooth pairing and system configuration while in motion or when parking brake isn't set.

It was done for safety. On a given day I see at least 10 vehicles who can't even use the most basic feature of their vehicle, a turn signal. The last thing we need is everyone dicking around 5 levels deep in settings, while driving 20mph over the limit, changing crossover settings that they don't understand because they think the passenger rear door speaker needs a few more hz. Imagine how a movie is.

I know 3 friends who've totalled cars while messing w radio, one almost killed a family. The car he hit, slid across a median into oncoming traffic and stopped just inside the lane leaving barely enough space to avoid it, all because he just couldn't tolerate a song for 2 more seconds and was staring at the low center of the dash rummaging through stations rather than whats ahead. I was in a car with another friend who rear ended someone at a light doing the same thing. I was like WTF man. You would have been stopped in another 100 ft and could have done this then.

If you ever wonder why you hear me preach about AA and Carplay when people here ask about recommendations this is a main reason why. Its a HUGE safety factor and also gives people a plethora of options for entertainment and unless you can't tie your own shoes they're fairly easy to operate by voice or steering wheel control if your vehicle is so equipped.

When I used to install "ill give you $50 if you bypass this thing. No one needs to know" was probably the second most common ask outside of what would you recommend. Its a car, not a recliner. You're doing a job, going somewhere without killing someone else in the process, not relaxing watching Hulu with a tub of popcorn. I'd explain this and they're 90% of the time coming back with i don't care ill do what I want. 'Merica! I felt like smacking most of them in the face with a bat...its 'Merica so it would be OK when using their logic.

I've been in 13 not my fault accidents in my life, 9 of them were due to distracted drivers.

The one that ended my 12v career due to the back injury i received was due to a basketball coach for a church team who was so inept at where is east and west that he had to play with his phone GPS while driving 45+mph and slammed into my suv so hard I was shoved off the road and onto a golf course.

If I had it my way people wouldn't be able to physically interact with a radio if you aren't stopped, it would be voice only in motion.

/rant

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't do it for me to be watching while I'm driving...i did it for my passenger

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much? DIY or professional?

Sorry, I didn't check back on this thread until today.

I got it from Phoenix automotive and was like $800. I wanted to upgrade from my sync1 to a sync3 system but was finding equipment to do it to be like $2600. Nope. I really just wanted to get apply car play so I could do maps and such.

I ended up with this unit, which is basically a glorified Android tablet that has HVAC controls and a radio built in. I installed it myself and there was pretty much no documentation. What where was was in Chinese, for a different model of headset, and was for a Gen4 expedition when I have a gen3. :D But I did figure it out and really, once I know what goes where, I could now swap it out and back in just 20 minutes. The expedition is actually easier to do than the F150 videos that I saw for a similar unit

I will say that I gave up on the apple carplay and just use the native Google Maps, Waze, and all the other Android compatible apps that I have installed. I do use YouTube in full video while I'm driving, the trick to doing this safely is to pay attention to the road. Most of the videos I watch now are often just some talking head anyway, so I'm not really distracted to watch the screen aside from changing channels. This fine Chinese unit laughs at the idea of blocking the video while you are driving. It couldn't care less if you crash.

I do use a Mobile WifI hotspot to provide ISP access to it. The Headunit can also connect to a ODB2 for Torque, or to my VioFO dash cam to view footage.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
13 accidents?
I have only had 2 accidents in my entire life. I've been driving for about 50 years. I can use my phone, my radio, a real radio (FM transceiver), shoot, hold a conversation, dodge mortar rounds, and hold a conversation while driving. when in doubt, i pulled over.
I was not doing any of those things in my two accidents.
one was my fault because I was driving under the influence of the overconfidence of adolescence and the other was the other guy's fault because he wanted to "beat" me at a light.
i would suggest the one thing those accidents have in common was the driver.
not judging... just an observation.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
13 accidents?
I have only had 2 accidents in my entire life. I've been driving for about 50 years. I can use my phone, my radio, a real radio (FM transceiver), shoot, hold a conversation, dodge mortar rounds, and hold a conversation while driving. when in doubt, i pulled over.
I was not doing any of those things in my two accidents.
one was my fault because I was driving under the influence of the overconfidence of adolescence and the other was the other guy's fault because he wanted to "beat" me at a light.
i would suggest the one thing those accidents have in common was the driver.
not judging... just an observation.

Not a single accident was my fault, always someone else not following the laws of the road. I've t boned a couple people who pulled out in front of me, been side swiped twice, I've been t boned by someone running a light well after it was red...like 4 or 5 seconds later, I've been rear ended 4 times, the list goes on...

Aside from cruising a bit above posted on the hwy im a fairly safe driver. I don't weave back and forth in lanes, hell, I have a favorite lane I drive to work in every day. I don't move at all most of the time. I know every little crevice and bump all along it and when to slide over a few inches for that next imperfection.

I've had a hands free device to talk on since 2003 and some form of voice control for my phone for at least 6 years, and android auto for full voice control of everything for the past year and a half. I don't listen to the radio most of the time so I'm never playing w it. Prior vehicles to the expedition since about 2007 were modified and the exhaust rendered most speakers useless or at least not enjoyable.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not a single accident was my fault, always someone else not following the laws of the road. I've t boned a couple people who pulled out in front of me, been side swiped twice, I've been t boned by someone running a light well after it was red...like 4 or 5 seconds later, I've been rear ended 4 times, the list goes on...

Aside from cruising a bit above posted on the hwy im a fairly safe driver. I don't weave back and forth in lanes, hell, I have a favorite lane I drive to work in every day. I don't move at all most of the time. I know every little crevice and bump all along it and when to slide over a few inches for that next imperfection.

I've had a hands free device to talk on since 2003 and some form of voice control for my phone for at least 6 years, and android auto for full voice control of everything for the past year and a half. I don't listen to the radio most of the time so I'm never playing w it. Prior vehicles to the expedition since about 2007 were modified and the exhaust rendered most speakers useless or at least not enjoyable.

Yeah, my wife says that also. One day a guy blew a red light doing 50 and nailed her - the first car at the green. Legally, it wasn't her fault, but had she looked before proceeding on green he never would have hit her. Another time a young girl blew a stop sign and hit her. Again, legally, not my wife's fault. However, she saw the girl approaching the stop sign at full speed and figured "Well, she has a stop sign. She has to stop." Nope. Learn to drive defensively and you'll get in a lot less accidents.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01