New head unit, now sub "thumps" when turning on...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgrattan

Reaction score
I just put a Pioneer AVH-1440NEX head unit in my '06 Limited to get CarPlay and a backup camera. Most things work well, but a few seconds after I turn the key on (and the head unit powers up) the sub "thumps" once--kind of like when you plug something into an amp that is already on. I'm assuming this has to do with the timing of the sub amp turning on. I used the "system control" wire (blue/white) going to what I believe is the amp's "power on" signal.
If I connect the amp's "power on" to the switched +12V instead, so that it should turn on as soon as I turn the key on, do you think I would get rid of the "thump?"
It didn't have this problem with the stock head unit.

Ron1978

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put a Pioneer AVH-1440NEX head unit in my '06 Limited to get CarPlay and a backup camera. Most things work well, but a few seconds after I turn the key on (and the head unit powers up) the sub "thumps" once--kind of like when you plug something into an amp that is already on. I'm assuming this has to do with the timing of the sub amp turning on. I used the "system control" wire (blue/white) going to what I believe is the amp's "power on" signal.
If I connect the amp's "power on" to the switched +12V instead, so that it should turn on as soon as I turn the key on, do you think I would get rid of the "thump?"
It didn't have this problem with the stock head unit.
Do not use loudness on the radio, leave it off, I just installed a whole system in my f250 and the amp instruction says do not use loudness setting in radio. See if it helps

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I'm going to throw my 2cents in here. Whenever I hooked up an amp, whether main or sub, the hot lead, yellow usually, goes straight to the positive terminal of battery. The turn on/off wire goes to a switched 12 volt source. Is that the way you wired it? Sounds like you did, but just checking. Amplifier hots should always go straight to the battery, with a 30-80 amp fuse in between depending on wattage.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Ron1978

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I'm going to throw my 2cents in here. Whenever I hooked up an amp, whether main or sub, the hot lead, yellow usually, goes straight to the positive terminal of battery. The turn on/off wire goes to a switched 12 volt source. Is that the way you wired it? Sounds like you did, but just checking. Amplifier hots should always go straight to the battery, with a 30-80 amp fuse in between depending on wattage.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
This is very correct, I run from battery 8" from it a 100 amp fuse then straight to the amp, then blue remote wire to amp from radio, make sure you have a good ground with no paint between the connection, Grounding is key to a strong setup

OP
OP
B

bgrattan

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll check the power connection, it may be going to the switched line.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can use an AXXESS AX-CAM6V or a couple of 1k ohm resistors to step voltage down to eliminate it. The part from axxess works great