New owner, need tow advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the 800-1200 pound bars the husky centerline is a 4 point friction hitch similiar to the e4. How high should I have to lift the back of the expy to get the bars on? Where I have it set now, it seems like I'm lifting the truck off the ground to get the bars on. My trailer is low to the ground, the tongue is in line with the frame as opposed to most that have the tongue connecting underneath the frame.

I have the height of the ball set to 1/2" higher than the trailer coupler and when the bars are set in place the trailer is level. I'll be towing with the fresh tank full this weekend which will add 300 pounds in front of the axles, would half of that transfer to my tongue weight?

Realistically the 1/2 the weight transfers. But, I'd say its more like 60/40. I never tow with water in mine, I always fill up at the campground when I get there...

I lift mine pretty high to get my bars on too. Only way I can get them in place, I agree it seems high, but it works right so who am I to ask questions. LOL

May I ask what you have for a brake controller?

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the built in Ford brake controller in my expedition. The campground were going to is primitive and technically not open for the season yet. There is a hand pump well there which does not have connections for a hose. We do a lot of primitive camping and not bringing full tanks is not always an option. I raised the Brackets another hole last night and got rid of the sag in the rear and the previous 1" rise in the front. My trailer is low but the tongue is high since it's in line with the frame, so it has to raise to its max height (with an extension foot and a 4x4 block underneath that) now to get the bars on and they are tight. Glad it's a power jack because it got quite a workout while I wasaking adjustments.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkxr4