New Owner, new member..with 1 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lol paper maps. LOL I use my google maps if i need to find anything, but yes I want to use my new sexy truck. haha

the MAX is the Canadian version of the EL, its a nicer truck. :p

Somehow, everything is always better in Canada

Plati

Reaction score
Paper maps are useful! Almost essential in places. Not the gas station / AAA variety though. I have a bunch of Gazeteer books, one for each state I'm travelling in. They have every single road in the state including gravel back roads. Especially useful for planning the next days route ... And they don't break or run out of a cell phone connection or battery power!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Paper maps are useful! Almost essential in places. Not the gas station / AAA variety though. I have a bunch of Gazeteer books, one for each state I'm travelling in. They have every single road in the state including gravel back roads. Especially useful for planning the next days route ... And they don't break or run out of a cell phone connection or battery power!

Google Play on Android has a nifty tool called "Offline Navigation"

Mad levels of detail, dirt roads, gravel roads, former roads, waypoints.... lots of fun stuff.

Plati

Reaction score
Google Play on Android has a nifty tool called "Offline Navigation"

Mad levels of detail, dirt roads, gravel roads, former roads, waypoints.... lots of fun stuff.
I've used Google Maps offline navigation, when I was in Canada last winter ski trips with no cell coverage. Get 15 feet off the road, like gas station, and its gone ... Blind, no navigation instruction Its not like it downloads the entire rectangle map area to your Android and recalculates navigation. Printed road maps are just like printed topo maps when backpacking. They don't break. Electronic compass and altimeter also can be unreliable in the backcountry. Old school in hand when your life depends on it.

I also find it difficult to use cell screen to get detail view if a large area, much easier on printed map. Snowmobile trail systems another example where cell phone bites for large area. Need big paper map to spread out in front of you.

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where are you guys traveling to & from that you are finding miles upon miles of brand spanking new roads, thus rendering couple-year-old software useless?

Are you using navigation to get around a housing addition?

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 2012 Ford Expedition Limited. Ford wanted $250 for the upgrade. So I bought a big Garmin with free upgrades.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys traveling to & from that you are finding miles upon miles of brand spanking new roads, thus rendering couple-year-old software useless?

This is a valid point. Heck you could pop in the original maps and for the most part it would work... the older software works fine as long as you put in the address of the establishment you are headed to. I do understand that businesses move and names change but the addresses remain the same.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed, fwiw(& prob not much) I used to stress at the Bleeding Edge of home tech....got the latest gear to beta test, software too (anyone remember Word Perfect 5.1?) had more ram than most had main storage! BUT it was an unwinnable race....once I realized that, I was good to go.

I've been driving & riding for how many years, 45? Trust me, you're good with your few year old maps......regardless of the format.

I could not begin to count the hand-drawn maps we used to use....and relax, even the tech savvy kids can figure out a paper map too....

jeff

OP
OP
M

MikeN

Reaction score

LOL just Calgary Alberta, we have undergone MAJOR road upgrades over the last 5 years as well we have added 3-4 communities as well. fun stuff