New Rear Shocks - Add the spacer too?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prenticect

Reaction score
So I am needing to replace the shocks, even at only 60k. The load-leveling shocks simply don't work so need to replace. Yes, getting new shocks will help overall, but I do tow campers/boats and I have a WDH as well. The camper is close to the max weight. My question is this, while I am replacing them, should I bother and install the rubber spacers in the springs? I don't know if I will really need them or not. Also unsure how much it will mess with general ride quality. I know it will be easier to install when they are not on the truck :).

I am seemingly going with the KYB ones. I am not interested in doing the spring compression game and swapping all that stuff. I have done it before... too old to mess with all that. I have read many comments and the answers are all over the place. some say they help a lot to some say eh so-so. Some same no difference in ride quality, some say they did notice some. SOO, I am asking this specific question to see what types of response I get. Hopefully help point to an obvious answer.

Thanks All.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any rubber spacers. There is a bump stop and a rubber isolator on the top and bottom of the spring seats/hats. The bump stop only comes into play if the strut bottoms out. You'll definitely want that in there. I rebuilt my struts using KYB shocks and have no complaints. They've worked well for both daily driving and towing my camper.

1oldtimer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you referring to the Sumo Coil spacers?
I have them and think they help when towing.
If your not towing, they don't affect the ride quality at all. They do help with sag issues while towing.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, those exactly, thank you.
If your WDH is adjusted properly there shouldn't be any sag. There may be some if you're towing a boat, as I know they tend to have lower hitch weight and don't use weight distribution. Fwiw, my camper is 7,000 lbs. I don't have any issues with my hitch properly adjusted. My load E tires and 65 psi stabilized the rear when towing. But I haven't heard anything negative about Sumo Springs. Just make sure you're putting enough weight on the front axle whether you go with Sumo or not.

OP
OP
P

prenticect

Reaction score
Yeah, that is the issue, I need to use the HDW to get close to driveable. without it, I cant go over 50. Thus new rear shocks and thinking/askign about adding in the Sumo stuff. don't want a harsh ride for every day driving.

FYI, I have the EL... so a little longer

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, that is the issue, I need to use the HDW to get close to driveable. without it, I cant go over 50. Thus new rear shocks and thinking/askign about adding in the Sumo stuff. don't want a harsh ride for every day driving.

FYI, I have the EL... so a little longer
Anything over 600 lbs on the tongue requires a weight distribution hitch (WDH) to return weight to the front axle and to prevent overloading the rear axle. You can measure the front fender height to estimate how much weight you're returning to the front, but that won't tell if you have enough weight on the tongue. For that, you'll need to visit a scale to get the total trailer weight and tongue weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze