New Starter installed, now no spark help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99xlt2wd

Reaction score
99 xlt 5.4 2wd auto.
Starter was blowing the 15amp fuse, after the whole electronics circus after some steady rain.
New Starter installed, now no action from the fuel system. Cranks but no spark.

At this point I am almost positive the issue is the fuse box/gem. Going to remove these and inspect them, as well as follow that line of wires up to the firewall and see what it looks like.
Also on tap is a new windshield that will have to be installed onsite at the mechanic it now sits at. (All okay I'm patient and wanting to fix this)

My questions are,
How reliable are these pre programmed gem I see for sale online, and if ordered with vin any recommendations? And are they really plug and go?
Anyone have specific experience with doing a new gem on this very odd early model year 99 with 2wd.

Also hoping that the GEM is the fix to get It to spark.
On another note when starter died I rad the OBD scan tool got the codes. Since new starter is installed it won't recognize a hand held or the shop rig they plugged in.

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
General electronics module. Has no program to it. It's a distribution box. You must be referencing an ecu or pcm. There are two computers and I have recently gotten the power control module. This is easy enough you can do your self however it will be required to be re flash for your key by a locksmith. Not re keyed but just learned to your key(s) so that's another 100+$ on top of the 150$ for the pcm. Less that what the mechanic will charge you.

Rewind to fundamental diagnostics is valuable. Do I just replace stuff, maybe. Would I rather know for sure? Yes.

Have you checked the fuses?

When I did the pcm it had to learn the key and would not start but would turn over.

Have you swapped a pcm?

Without the key learned it does not send full, or spark but turns over the starter for some reason... similar situation to yours.

A mechanic would be a good resource for diagnostics and then research doing the work your self.

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait 99 in my research just needed to be turned off and on 8 times to relearn the key.