new timing chain tensioner and guides as preventative measure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Trying to find a high performance car like a mustang or Camaro, that hasn't been beat like a field mule is tough. Factor in a lazy maintenance schedule, and you have usually a trashed motor. Luckily the 5.0 and 4.6 mustang motors are tough.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
Definitely. The girl who owned this one destroyed it. Three spun bearings and a bunch of other issues I had to straighten out. After working on this one I fell in love the Mod platform. Very easy to work on. The only thing I didn't like was the twice the price cams... Can't do much about that on a twin cam motor though I suppose lol All I had to do was hone the cylinders. No other real machine work after all that abuse. How do you beat that?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I personally like the earlier fox motors. 5.0/5.8. it's amazing the punishment they take. And with some simple hotrodding you can easily eek out 300-325 hp. More if you dont care as much about reliability.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I personally like the earlier fox motors. 5.0/5.8. it's amazing the punishment they take. And with some simple hotrodding you can easily eek out 300-325 hp. More if you dont care as much about reliability.

I never was into the old 5.0s and the 351s in my old F250s never gave me much of a hassle thankfully. I was always ripping around in Z28s etc. when I was younger. I mainly stick with messing around with my 69 bbc Camaro now if I'm working on something for fun. You want to see bullet proof? You should get out the Gen 6 big block Chevys. I just built a 461 that started out as a 98 van 454. 4 bolt main roller motor from the factory.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chevy motors are tough, as long as some bonehead used good parts. The big blocks are tough too, but because they are big blocks can't be spun too high rpm. I've always liked torque of say a 427 or 454 mill. A friend years back had a 65 Gto 389 built up, what an animal that little goat was! Wasn't going for a pun, but guess I did.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I gather it’s the valvetrain in the big blocks that don’t like the higher rpm

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
From what I gather it’s the valvetrain in the big blocks that don’t like the higher rpm

Chevy motors are tough, as long as some bonehead used good parts. The big blocks are tough too, but because they are big blocks can't be spun too high rpm. I've always liked torque of say a 427 or 454 mill. A friend years back had a 65 Gto 389 built up, what an animal that little goat was! Wasn't going for a pun, but guess I did.

That is generally true. Small blocks wind up higher, but I'll take my very easy 550 hp and 600 lb/ft crossing point at 5,500 rpms and smile all day long. ;-) I'm not into RPMs. That only helps if you are truly racing IMO. I've played around racing, but I stay mostly on the street. 4 spds and posi rears stay together longer that way. Ever try to build a 389 Pontiac? Good luck with your bank account... A friend has been screwing around with a 455 and a 389 for the last two years. Nothing, but issues. My brother has a 65 and a 66 goat. Ridiculous money into the 65. Animal? Yes. Worth the $? Hell no IMO.
Sorry to the OP. We kind of hijacked/derailed...