New to forum--need replacement headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua Winter

Reaction score
Ford didn't implement DRLs ever to my knowledge other than in Canada and maybe some fleet vehicles. Dealers denied it was even possible after delivery. Forscan software allows activation of DRLs and I set my '17 LED foglights to function as DRLs so perhaps this was done on your truck as well. No other "markers" though.

-- Chuck

My 2008 Eddie Bauer had DRLs. It was a rental at some point so that may have been the reason but all lights stayed off until you put it in gear and then the headlights would come on, dimmer than actually turning the headlights on but they came on all the same.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use of the highbeams at reduced voltage/brightness is a common implementation of DRLs. My Honda and Subarus have used this method since 2006, my earliest experience with DRLs on these brands.

-- Chuck

LOW beams

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOW beams
There are several cars with dual bulbs (low beam and high beam) that use the the high beams as DRLs with reduced voltage. The thinking is that the high beam bulbs are not used as often as the lows, so use the highs as DRLs at reduced output.

Ralph Campano

Reaction score
Just installed:
AmeriLite Black Xtreme LED Halos Projector Headlights for 2007-2014 Ford Expedition

Love them!20210131_094400.jpg 20210131_094400.jpg 20210131_094414.jpg 20210131_094400.jpg 20210131_094414.jpg

Ralph Campano

Reaction score
AmeriLite Black Xtreme LED Halos Projector Headlights for 2007-2014 Ford Expedition

Novice Install Notes: This is for installation of the Red/Black lines on the lamp to the Expedition Running Lights. You can also install to Fog Lamps, but this thread does not have guidance for Fog Lamp connection.

On my 2009 XLT, the Running Lights are the cord with the light Brown adapter.

I used 18 Guage - 14 cal Quick Slices (Vampire Splice). See photo below.

Red Line is spliced to center wire on Light Brown Adapter. On my vehicle this is the Purple/White line on both the Driver and Passenger side.

Black line is spliced to the line closest to the lock latch on the Light Brown adapter.

• Passenger Side - Black Line is spliced to Green/Black line on Light Brown Adapter.
  • Driver Side - Black Line is spliced to Black line on Light Brown Adapter.

I recommend making the splice a couple of inches from the Light Brown adapter so if you mess up you have room for correction. I could be wrong about this, so comments are welcome.

I accidentally tied the Lamp Black line to the third line and it still worked, but the Blinker mode resulted in a "disco" feature where the Halos would blink alternatively to the orange turn light. My thought is that this would likely result in a lower LED life cycle.

20210130_132037.jpg

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Novice Install Notes: This is for installation of the Red/Black lines on the lamp to the Expedition Running Lights. You can also install to Fog Lamps, but this thread does not have guidance for Fog Lamp connection.

On my 2009 XLT, the Running Lights are the cord with the light Brown adapter.

I used 18 Guage - 14 cal Quick Slices (Vampire Splice). See photo below.

Red Line is spliced to center wire on Light Brown Adapter. On my vehicle this is the Purple/White line on both the Driver and Passenger side.

Black line is spliced to the line closest to the lock latch on the Light Brown adapter.

• Passenger Side - Black Line is spliced to Green/Black line on Light Brown Adapter.
  • Driver Side - Black Line is spliced to Black line on Light Brown Adapter.

I recommend making the splice a couple of inches from the Light Brown adapter so if you mess up you have room for correction. I could be wrong about this, so comments are welcome.

I accidentally tied the Lamp Black line to the third line and it still worked, but the Blinker mode resulted in a "disco" feature where the Halos would blink alternatively to the orange turn light. My thought is that this would likely result in a lower LED life cycle.

View attachment 40115

Absolutely do not use "quick splices" ever anywhere, should not even be on the market. They are complete junk and not water tight!