New To Me '11 Expedition SSV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeafBringer

Reaction score
Hello y'all. I picked up a 2011 Expedition SSV with 115k miles on it for a song. Other than some minor trim damage, typical seat tears in the driver seat, and a few holes in the body for lights, it's in pretty good shape.

Been lurking this forum while bidding on the SSV and managed to snag it for $250 below my max bid price. Got into a bidding war with someone which shot up the price by $2k which irked me but it is what it is. Used vehicles in decent shape are NOT cheap in Arizona by any means.

My guess is that this is a standard SSV, 2wd with absolutely no bells and whistles, XL trim according to vin decoder. Sadly doesn't have the HD towing but that's alright.

First order of business is to have the local mechanic look it over for any items that should be replaced or monitored as well as to identify a slow coolant leak. Once that is fixed, then tires. Will probably keep the 17" steelies and pick a set of tires that are comfortable and quiet enough, likely some BF or Mitch ATs unless someone has recommendations. Then want to replace the headlight housings, they're yellowing which is typical for Arizona. I've tried fixing other headlights and they just repeat the cycle no matter what once it starts. Will either source from a local parts yard or rock auto depending on prices.

Those are the top 3 to get it road worthy for daily duties. Then from there I want to find a center console, 3rd row set up, and figure out a cell phone holder using the coin holder slot (I agree, stupid decision by Ford). I also wouldn't mind getting rid of the spotlight on the driver side if possible. My son begs me to keep it but I don't want people thinking it's an unmarked police unit and cluster around me, afraid to speed. There are some interior trim pieces I want to fix in the rear as well such as the latch gate surrounds for example.

Are there any QoL mods that are considered a "must" when converting from SSV to civilian duty?

Brons2

Reaction score
What is an SSV? Like a police vehicle?

Consider a timing job on any high mileage 5.4 3 valve. Telltale signs are a rattling on cold startup (chains slapping together), or ticking when you power brake it in the drive through about 1200 rpm (phasers and/or solenoids).

Change all the fluids front to rear as a preventative maintenance item.

Consider replacing the thermostat with an OEM part, Arizona is pretty hot. That said I've never replaced mine and it's fine, temp never goes up even at 105F.

Spark plugs with new coil boots.

Hoses. Especially heater hoses if they are original, have plastic fittings and connectors. One of my heater hoses broke not long after I bought mine in 2020. It was good timing as I was only a few miles from home, but we had taken it on a trip within the first week and it could have been disastrous had it broken out in the sticks like between Kingsville and Harlingen where there are no services for like 60 miles.

Get underneath the vehicle and inspect the transmission cooler lines, they are known to fail where they attach to the cooler in front of the radiator. If they break on the highway your transmission is done.

Subscribe to the Fordtechmakuloco channel on YouTube, he is the 5.4 3V and 6R80 whisperer.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SSV = Special Service Vehicle. Police, Fire, Water Department. Anything Local, State and Fed Government.

DeafBringer. You prolly got a couple of bonuses with the SSV. I believe all SSVs of that era came with Limited Slip Differential LSD - check the drivers door jamb for “axle code” and post up that number. I believe they all also came with HD cooling as well as larger battery and high output alternator.

OP
OP
D

DeafBringer

Reaction score
Thanks GlennSullivan. I checked out the door code and it's axle 16 which indicates an open diff with gear ratio of 3.73. I've attached a photo of the door jamb codes.

How do I identify whether it has the higher output alternator? As for HD tow, I was under the impression that if the factory tow hitch has both the 4 prong and 7 pin connectors, it has the HD tow package. If it has just the 4 prong, then it it is not HD tow package. It has only the 4 prong and I do not see any wiring or evidence indicating a 7 pin connector existed.

Attachments

• IMG_20230426_191325.jpg
    IMG_20230426_191325.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 7

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like for this model year, I was wrong on all counts. I specifically remember being pissed off that I could not order an expedition with LSD, but the Only Way the SSV model could be ordered was with LSD. And also wrong about the alternator and HD cooling for the 11.

See the details of your 2011 SSV in the attached document, again sorry for the mis-information.

Attachments

• 2011ExpeditionSSVModifier.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 31

x1050er

Reaction score
I too have a 2011 SSV, got it wioth 68,000 on it. Was a sheriffs squad.
It has a larger transmission cooler plus a larger transmission fluid pan.
Held about 1 quart more fluid.
Best thing (for me) i did was to have the idle raised up to 650 rpm.
Really helps me when hooking up my camper.

OP
OP
D

DeafBringer

Reaction score
Thanks for your help Glenn, that document is amazing and I've saved it! Nice to see a very straightforward listing of different packages available. From there I am able to determine I have the 52C package (XLT comfort group) and 17T (technical package). This is interesting because the vin lists it as a base XL.

Thank you X1050er! Love that you chimed in, looks like we may have similar vehicles. Do you have the tow package with the 7 pin connector? Would be curious to see what you have.

How were yo8u able to verify you have a larger transmission cooler plus larger transmission pan?

x1050er

Reaction score
I found out when I changed all the fluids on my truck. The radiator and alternator are heavy duty also.
Yes, I have the towing package. Tows my jayco camper great!!

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found out when I changed all the fluids on my truck. The radiator and alternator are heavy duty also.
Yes, I have the towing package. Tows my jayco camper great!!
The HD radiator comes from the HD tow package. Not part of the base SSV package, which surprised the hell out of me. The OP does not have HD Tow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni