New to me 2007 EL LIMITED & all it's problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Ben Ford

Reaction score
A little update since I have last posted...

I had a leak in the A/C that I found rather quickly. The condenser was leaking at the tube/tank joint on passenger side as noted by the amount of gunk buildup. I replaced it and the A/C was working amazing!! For two days[emoji19][emoji19]...

The A/C just stopped working. No cold air. Good air flow. Nothing.... I did have a code pop for low pressure. Thought it was the pressure switch and replaced it. Then I tested the compressor by applying power directly to it and the clutch didn’t engage. So, of course I replaced it and the A/C works beautifully now!!!

I don’t drive it much as it’s the wife’s vehicle but she was complaining about the ride quality. So I took it to and from work while diagnosing the A/C issues. Well, with the windows down I could hear a hellacious squeaking and could feel the front end floating whenever I went over some bumps. I knew right away that the struts needed to be replaced. Then I checked for looseness in the front end and wow!!! Everything was toast!!!! I have since replaced Borge front struts, upper and lower control arms, and the outer tie rod ends!!![emoji15][emoji15][emoji15] my wife loves driving it now because she says it drives like a new vehicle. And it better cause of how much money and blood and sweat I put into that front end!![emoji35][emoji35]

Now that the clock has just reached 200k I bought everything I need to replace the timing chain, guides, tensioner, and cam phasers. Not to mention the recommended upgraded oil pump... $1200 for everything!!!! I am now way past the value of the expo. I am now vested in keeping the damn thing....

More to follow on those repairs when I get to it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Ben Ford

Reaction score
Oh and forgot one other thing[emoji58]

The steering was binding at certain points. Well, it felt like binding or that the power steering pump was quitting intermittently.

Couldn’t really pin point the issue. It fooled me into thinking that the pump was failing. So after I had finally fixed the A/C this was happening and I replaced the power steering pump. NOPE!!! It was the steering shaft from the firewall to the power steering rack. It would “bind” at certain points. Because the U-Joints were failing. As a temporary fix I read someone putting penetrating oil at the joints and solving the issue until they replaced the shaft.

Bought the shaft and haven’t replaced it yet. But no binding since I sprayed a couple months ago. More like soaked overnight then sprayed again the following day.

member11

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issues. I have an '07 and am always surprised to see posts calling these "low maintenance" cars. Mine is in good condition at 200k but has in no way been cheap to maintain or repair.

Can you please post a link to these headlights?

OP
OP
B

Ben Ford

Reaction score
OP
OP
B

Ben Ford

Reaction score
Well, sadly I have some updates....

Last week I was traveling to South Carolina from Louisiana and as I was traveling through Mississippi I had a misfire. #2 coil bad. So I bought all 8 and changed them at an Autozone. Only cost me $250ish[emoji15][emoji51]

Same trip ABS light came on and the traction control warning stayed lit on the dash. Left rear wheel sensor bad... [emoji19] and not to mention the change like warning came on[emoji2359]

So, after getting back I decided to move forward with some of the repairs that it needed the wheel sensor being one of them.

The air suspension has been working subpar so I thought I’d get a jump on it before it completely failed. I had ordered a new pump and air springs from 1aauto. I started by replacing the pump and wow!! What a difference!![emoji16]

Then, the following morning it wouldn’t operate[emoji2955][emoji848][emoji2962]

After performing all sorts of tests I was puzzled.... [emoji848] I could apply power to the pump directly and it would work. And then I could apply power across the 3 & 5 pin for the relay and it would work with the key in the ON position. But, other than that nothing.

It wasn’t until I started to do some electrical tests at the air sring solenoids and unplugging them, that after I plugged one of them back up the air suspension pump would start up with the key in the in position for 30 seconds and then shut off.... [emoji2955]

So, I decided to moved forward with replacing the air springs because I was still puzzled.

Well, I am operating at limited tools because I just moved and my stuff is in storage and I’m using my dads garage and supplementing what tools I brought with me with his. Needless to say I didn’t have the right size sockets to move forward with that.

But, what I did do is before plugging both air springs solenoids back in I put dielectric grease on both plugs cause they were a real SOB to unplug. Put the tires back on and let the sucker down and turned the key to in and voila!!! The pump started and aired the suspension up to proper height!![emoji2962][emoji2962]

It occurred to me the that previous owner who was a freaking idiot[emoji35][emoji35], took the damn Expo on the beach has caused corrosion on the connections. And after disconnecting them and putting the grease on the connections it is making good contact again[emoji3060][emoji3060]!! No wonder I couldn’t find the problem!!!

Now for fixing the dreaded passenger exhaust leak, lower control arms, and timing chain kit.[emoji19] yaaay[emoji19][emoji19][emoji19]

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A little update since I have last posted...

I had a leak in the A/C that I found rather quickly. The condenser was leaking at the tube/tank joint on passenger side as noted by the amount of gunk buildup. I replaced it and the A/C was working amazing!! For two days[emoji19][emoji19]...

The A/C just stopped working. No cold air. Good air flow. Nothing.... I did have a code pop for low pressure. Thought it was the pressure switch and replaced it. Then I tested the compressor by applying power directly to it and the clutch didn’t engage. So, of course I replaced it and the A/C works beautifully now!!!

I don’t drive it much as it’s the wife’s vehicle but she was complaining about the ride quality. So I took it to and from work while diagnosing the A/C issues. Well, with the windows down I could hear a hellacious squeaking and could feel the front end floating whenever I went over some bumps. I knew right away that the struts needed to be replaced. Then I checked for looseness in the front end and wow!!! Everything was toast!!!! I have since replaced Borge front struts, upper and lower control arms, and the outer tie rod ends!!![emoji15][emoji15][emoji15] my wife loves driving it now because she says it drives like a new vehicle. And it better cause of how much money and blood and sweat I put into that front end!![emoji35][emoji35]

Now that the clock has just reached 200k I bought everything I need to replace the timing chain, guides, tensioner, and cam phasers. Not to mention the recommended upgraded oil pump... $1200 for everything!!!! I am now way past the value of the expo. I am now vested in keeping the damn thing....

More to follow on those repairs when I get to it...

$1200 just for the chain and phaser parts? Are they OEM? Also, did you bring an obd II scanner? Why didn't you just replace that one coil? My stock coils work fine on my Ex at 200k.

Last edited: