New to me 2018 Expedition Platinum Max CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EngRWW33

Reaction score
So this past Thursday I signed the papers and drove away with a new to me Plat. Max with ~30k mi on the clock. After filling up yesterday I got a CEL and pulled a P0012 code. Quick google search pulls up a lot of information about Cam Shaft Position A retarded. But i have yet to see this code related to the latest Expy.

Waiting to take it to my dealer but they have been closed due to recent flooding so I have not had the opportunity yet. That is first thing once they open up shop. I will update this thread with what I get there.

In the meantime, has anyone else had this code? What was your experience?

OP
OP
E

EngRWW33

Reaction score
I checked the oil level last night and noticed it was overfilled (by about 1 qt.) so I decided to change the oil. While under the truck, I noticed that the passenger side axle was leaking at the diff. Seal replacement required i assume which is very surprising to me at just over 30k.

BTW, the oil "pulg" made a HUGE mess. Will be looking for a new method of oil changes next round.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I checked the oil level last night and noticed it was overfilled (by about 1 qt.) so I decided to change the oil. While under the trucks, I noticed that the passenger side axle was leaking at the diff. Seal replacement required i assume which is very surprising to me at just over 30k.

BTW, the oil "pulg" made a HUGE mess. Will be looking for a new method of oil changes next round.

Does your have the plastic oil plug or metal one? Ford made a change mid 2018 production. Haven't changed mine yet but luckily I have the metal one.

Did you put premium fuel in it when you filled up? Platinums have to have it.

Bummer to hear about the seal leak.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does your have the plastic oil plug or metal one? Ford made a change mid 2018 production. Haven't changed mine yet but luckily I have the metal one.

Regular fuel is fine. The only reason that premium would be "required" is if you want to have all 400 horses available to you.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regular fuel is fine. The only reason that premium would be "required" is if you want to have all 400 horses available to you.

This is correct! It's recommended to use premium when towing but regular is fine for normal driving.

OP
OP
E

EngRWW33

Reaction score

Yellow plastic plug. Needless to say I'm not a fan.

My wife put in regular, not premium. My DD is a GX470. The Expy is hers to cart the kids around in.

My understanding (as mentioned above) is that the Platinum can use either and the ECU adjusts tune respectively. I have not noticed any noticeable changes in engine characteristics (pining, rough idle, etc.) so I'm hoping just a sensor or something else simple. Soonest the dealer can take a look is Friday 9/13.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your m.p.g will be less with regular so the cheaper gas may not be cheaper in the end.
I have not noticed a considerable difference (if at all) when I use regular vs Premium on the mileage. I should add, that when I do use Premium I make a rule to use 94 Octane. Also to note, I would normally use Premium all the time except I have access to company fuel pumps and they stock it with regular unfortunately.

What is noticeable is the power (obv) and at elevation it is quite responsive. Now, if I can only get that stupid check valve fixed...ugh.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My understanding (as mentioned above) is that the Platinum can use either and the ECU adjusts tune respectively. I have not noticed any noticeable changes in engine characteristics (pining, rough idle, etc.) so I'm hoping just a sensor or something else simple. Soonest the dealer can take a look is Friday 9/13.
The manual does state that you can use regular or premium, although Ford recommends premium (as it does in all EcoBoosts). It also warns that you may hear some light knocking when using regular. I am happy to use what is recommended, plus I want those extra ponies!!