New (to me) 2020 XLT FX4 w/ Max Tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maconuswett

Reaction score
Long time viewer, rare poster....

We just brought home a 2020 XLT FX4 with Max Tow, equipment group 202A and 2nd row bucket seats. It replaced our 2014 XLT Expedition that had 150,000 miles (30K towing a 6000lb travel trailer). I've had 5.4 V8 fords for the past 17 years, I know my way around them well. I trust them and love them. Only reason we bought this new one was because of the price and the fact that nickle / dime maintenance is coming due (shocks/coilovers, bad door sensor, back up camera acts up, windows slow, rotors and pads, etc, etc). Plus, at 150K, we are beating into the life of engine parts and tranny parts, especially seeing as how we used it regularly for a tow vehicle.
I know the specs on this 3.5 Eco, and the power is impressive, but what do I need to be on the lookout for? I've read about the cam phaser issue, some random tranny shifting issues. This truck doesn't show any of those. What else should I know? Any must do upgrades or changes? Our previous 5.4 had an SCTX4 tuner with 5 star tunes, magnaflow exhaust, the standard goodies, just for reference.
Thanks

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most likely your factory struts need to be replaced, they leak oil in 10-20K miles.
Crawl under and look if they appear wet and dusty from oil residue.