New Toy! 1998 Expedition XLT 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AZoutdoorsman

Reaction score
Hey guys its been a while. Have done a few things to the expy since I was on here last. I pulled the Tcase and resealed it and did the transmission filter. Stripped a damn transmission pan bolt while I was doing it (hasn't leaked yet, knock on wood). And now the battery took a crap. I tell ya if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. I'll replace it this weekend or next. I haven't had a chance to lift it yet waiting until I find tires and can afford an alignment I'd like to get one of the lifetime ones, buy once cry once. I did get F250 springs for the rear lift George Salazar I believe the F250 front springs from 2007-2018 are all the same it depends on what motor and drive the pick up is. I found a chart going over the spring rates and lengths I'll try to find it again. The ones I have are off of a 2012 gasser I believe. I'll let you guys know more when I do more!!

Jim Brown

Reaction score
Howdy I'm in Phoenix, new to the forum and new to AZ off-roading. I picked up a '01 EB 5.4 4x4 last month for cheap. I'm using it for camping in remote areas and some moderate off-road trails in central AZ. I plan to lift mine after wearing out the current tires, just to expand the areas I can get into. Mine is stock height, wheels and tires, still have the running boards on it, only scrape I've had was going up Schnebly Hill Road near Sedona, on a rock step, the trailer hitch ran aground as the rear wheels approached the step.

I would be interested to know your trans oil temps driving around in the summertime heat. Mine mostly ranges from 197 to 206, hwy and city driving. Hit 227 once in stop and go traffic slowdown on the big uphill grade on I-17 North towards Prescott. The reading is from internal trans temp sensor. Next project is remote trans cooler with it's own fan, hoping to keep it 200 degrees or lower. May also convert the cruise control on/ off switch, on the steering wheel, to torque converter clutch manual switch.

In a previous post you talked about upper and lower ball joints. I recently installed Mevotech Supreme upper control arm assemblies, and Mevotech Terrain Tough lower ball joints, all ordered from RockAuto. The job was super easy, and well worth it. The lowers were pretty much shot, rattling like crazy anytime off road.

Also thinking about putting a set of electric pusher fans on the a/c condenser. Just replaced the entire cooling system, clutch, belt, tensioner, pulleys and it runs about 199 deg ect on the hottest days with 180 deg thermostat. A/C works well but slightly less in city stop and go traffic. Looking for that ice cold a/c in traffic on those summertime scorcher days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZoutdoorsman

Reaction score
Jim Brown
welcome to Expys and AZ off roading. I grew up Off roading in AZ and have had all different kinds of toys from a Baja Bug to a couple pickups and Jeeps. They are all fun and rewarding in their own way!
So I have been trying to read my trans temps but my OBD2 reader doesn't seem to work in my Expy and I haven't figured out why. I did some research and while OBD 2 has been around since 1996 it wasn't standardized until around 2004 so I think I need to try an older reader or buy a more capable one (the on I have is a Bosch Bluetooth unit) When I can figure that out I'll get you some trans temps. Eventually I want to do a 6.0 trans cooler like ExplorerTom did in his thread. His is definitely worth taking a look at if you haven't!
Ill for sure be looking into those ball joints I'm interested.

hypercardriac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll be following your thread bro. I just picked up a 97 expedition xtl 4x4. I was also inspired by Explorertoms thread. I don't know much about wrenching but I have tools and I'm trying to learn.

I’ve been trying to find Explorertoms thread, with no luck. Could someone post a link maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See link to my 2000 below in signature.

(turning phone sideways may be needed)

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m new to the farm and I’ve read a lot of good pulse here I have a first GEN that I bought back in 2001 and still have it to this day. It came loaded with four-point air suspension which I took off and put on Monroe coilover in the front. my question is is there any other brands of struts then I can use in the front example Rancho, Bilstein, to replace with and if so do you need some type of spring to go along with it. I just bought some brand show 9000 XL for a 4 inch lift for the back and I’m planning on cranking the torsion bar up in the front I was wondering if this set up would work?