New truck, new lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robin Helvey

Reaction score
Hey all, just bought a 2020 king ranch max. Love it so far! Except I think it needs a 3” lift. I think I’m ok on the warranty but how would it affect towing? We have a 7500# GVWR trailer. It has the tow package. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

02FF701E-1A60-46FF-A4D6-5D60EADCDD24.jpeg

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think lift companies really test towing. Icon claims no loss of towing capacity but I'd be really surprised if there is any testing behind that statement. Id do saway bars with whatever lift you go with.

This isn't to say you cant tow with a lifted truck, just too many variables unless you have a specific lift in mind and know what it does to shock and spring settings/rates. If it goes softer, there will be a loos of towing capacity.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will not be able to go over a 3/2 lift without major cost of a custom lift. Right now there is a spacer lift, Icon suspension system and the hack with the F-150 shocks. 33” tires seem to be the best setup. I have 35” tires and they rub even after a lot of trimming. People will chime in about using a weight distributing hitch and proper tongue weight. All normal trailering rules apply. The higher center of gravity and larger tires do change the handling, braking and fuel mileage. It is noticeably different than stock but not bad. It’s not like you just put a 12” lift and 40’s on it. The 10 speed transmission and EcoBoost handle the tires and weight just fine. Brakes are a little weak IMO. The Expy is my first IRS vehicle. It handles towing way different than a solid axle truck. You get that side to side motion and in the wind you get the skateboard steer going on. People, including myself are wanting to try the Hellwig sway bar when it comes out. It should help tighten the rear end up a little. I added the Sumo Spring spacers to help with the squat. If the country opens up I can see if they made much of a difference. There are plenty of fairly current posts on all of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tys expedition

Reaction score
I’m guessing your king ranch has ccd so unless you want to be the first guinea pig the ready lift is the only lift available to you. I’m in the same boat until IVD or some one else comes up with a ccd solution. That being said the ready lift shouldn’t dramatically change your tow rating but it will Affect ride and handling. I think fizzy has the ready lift and he tows. There’s a few others as well that could chime in as that is the most common lift out there

CE750

Reaction score
You will not be able to go over a 3/2 lift without major cost of a custom lift. Right now there is a spacer lift, Icon suspension system and the hack with the F-150 shocks. 33” tires seem to be the best setup. I have 35” tires and they rub even after a lot of trimming. People will chime in about using a weight distributing hitch and proper tongue weight. All normal trailering rules apply. The higher center of gravity and larger tires do change the handling, braking and fuel mileage. It is noticeably different than stock but not bad. It’s not like you just put a 12” lift and 40’s on it. The 10 speed transmission and EcoBoost handle the tires and weight just fine. Brakes are a little weak IMO. The Expy is my first IRS vehicle. It handles towing way different than a solid axle truck. You get that side to side motion and in the wind you get the skateboard steer going on. People, including myself are wanting to try the Hellwig sway bar when it comes out. It should help tighten the rear end up a little. I added the Sumo Spring spacers to help with the squat. If the country opens up I can see if they made much of a difference. There are plenty of fairly current posts on all of this.

The "hack" using F-150 shocks? Please elaborate sir. I just replaced the 3/2 Readylift for the Bilstein 5100 Expedition rears and F-150 fronts, and I'm quite pleased with the results so far. It sits right about where the RL did...with much improved ride, handling, and travel. Installed a set of Icon delta joint UCA's for good measure. Guess this somehow makes 95cobby and I hacks though:waytogo:

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The "hack" using F-150 shocks? Please elaborate sir. I just replaced the 3/2 Readylift for the Bilstein 5100 Expedition rears and F-150 fronts, and I'm quite pleased with the results so far. It sits right about where the RL did...with much improved ride, handling, and travel. Installed a set of Icon delta joint UCA's for good measure. Guess this somehow makes 95cobby and I hacks though:waytogo:

You just explained a hack. Re read your post. I didn’t say it doesn’t work, but it definitely is a work around.

CE750

Reaction score
You just explained a hack. Re read your post. I didn’t say it doesn’t work, but it definitely is a work around.

Fair enough! Guess I've just never heard of someone being called a hack, with a positive connotation:handshake:

Concerning the OP's question, perhaps if you're willing to settle with a 1.6" lift vs 3" lift you could go with Bilstein's dedicated 5100 adjustable ride shocks for the Expedition. It would give ya a little boost in height, vastly improve ride and handling, and maintain a slight amount of rake for your towing needs. The 3/2 ReadyLift takes out any rake, and well as my improvised setup using the 4wd F-150 5100 fronts and Expy rears.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fair enough! Guess I've just never heard of someone being called a hack, with a positive connotation:handshake:

Concerning the OP's question, perhaps if you're willing to settle with a 1.6" lift vs 3" lift you could go with Bilstein's dedicated 5100 adjustable ride shocks for the Expedition. It would give ya a little boost in height, vastly improve ride and handling, and maintain a slight amount of rake for your towing needs. The 3/2 ReadyLift takes out any rake, and well as my improvised setup using the 4wd F-150 5100 fronts and Expy rears.

He wasn't calling you a hack, he was referencing taking parts not made for the specific purpose and using them for your intended purpose as being a hack. Its a pretty common term. In europe they use the term hacks and bodges. Bodges are more trailside fixes sort of things that you just use whatever is on hand to make a fix to get you home.

OP
OP
Robin Helvey

Robin Helvey

Reaction score
I’m guessing your king ranch has ccd so unless you want to be the first guinea pig the ready lift is the only lift available to you. I’m in the same boat until IVD or some one else comes up with a ccd solution. That being said the ready lift shouldn’t dramatically change your tow rating but it will Affect ride and handling. I think fizzy has the ready lift and he tows. There’s a few others as well that could chime in as that is the most common lift out there

Yep, ccd. And I just found out that the reputable installers won’t touch my truck. I’m bummed about that. I now just hope that a wd hitch will do the trick. No airbags available for it either. It’s gonna squat like a weight lifter.