Newbie needing towing advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
fotowiild

fotowiild

Reaction score
Okay, I’m being told there’s a misprint on Gulfstreams website concerning the hitch weight. When I brought it up to the dealer, they immediately said, “that can’t be right, not on that size trailer”, so they called Gulfstream and the company is telling us 596 lbs is the correct hitch weight, not 860. That would then make the GS hitch only 71 lbs more than the Rockwood. Of course, I would still be pulling 27’ vs 24’, And have a dry weight increase of 657 lbs. my question now is, would the extra 3 ft length make that much difference in pulling? Want to not only be safe, but also not feel like the trailer is dragging my Exp around if I have a 10 mph crosswind. Again, cargo weight is not a big issue, two adults under 160 each and 3 100lb dogs lol.,

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, I’m being told there’s a misprint on Gulfstreams website concerning the hitch weight. When I brought it up to the dealer, they immediately said, “that can’t be right, not on that size trailer”, so they called Gulfstream and the company is telling us 596 lbs is the correct hitch weight, not 860. That would then make the GS hitch only 71 lbs more than the Rockwood. Of course, I would still be pulling 27’ vs 24’, And have a dry weight increase of 657 lbs. my question now is, would the extra 3 ft length make that much difference in pulling? Want to not only be safe, but also not feel like the trailer is dragging my Exp around if I have a 10 mph crosswind. Again, cargo weight is not a big issue, two adults under 160 each and 3 100lb dogs lol.,

Yes, the three feet can make a difference. You're effectively pulling a sail with your tow vehicle. There are several weight distribution hitches that incorporate sway control on the market. I won't name names, because there are plenty of reviews online. I have rarely, if ever, seen anyone say theirs did not work at all. But it does seem that the more you spend, the more effective the hitch. If you can, try hitches at a couple of price points and see how they feel, then return whichever one doesn't get the job done. Configuring the hitch properly may require a bit of trial and error to get the weight distribution right.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Gulf Stream will be a piece of cake to tow. My TT is 1,000# heavier and 30' long (without the hitch and bumper). Get a good WDH with built in friction sway control and you will be fine. Do not be suprised if it takes a few tries to get the WDH set up correctly.