Next upgrade!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
What magic foo foo in this little radiator is going to cool the intake air to ambient air temperature? May help get it lower than stock but will still be several degrees higher than ambient temperature.

I'm curious to see the before and after air temps if you have a way to graph them.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What magic foo foo in this little radiator is going to cool the intake air to ambient air temperature? May help get it lower than stock but will still be several degrees higher than ambient temperature.

I'm curious to see the before and after air temps if you have a way to graph them.

-- Chuck

Not a Radiator. It is an upgraded Charge Air Cooler or InterCooler. This actual Cooler has been documented to in the 11-14 F150’s to make a drastic improvement in Charge Air Temp. Not ambient, but much better than stock. The brand is the go to currently in the aftermarket Cooler market, because of quality for cost.

Basically, it has more surface area(better Cooling) and better flow(improved air efficiency) than the stock part it replaces. This is a direct and fairly straight forward swap in the F-150, not sure about the Expy. Guess we will see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
16plati

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have the same Motor, but some of the piping I am pretty sure is different. We have a different grill, and the Motor sits a little different in the bay.

Have you confirmed that part numbers all match and mounts are the same? I am not aware of anybody doing the 15-17 Expy Cooler upgrade.

If you look at the cold air charge pipe for instance, 2015-2017 f150s have the pipe that connects to the throttle body with the MAP sensor and quick fitting on opposite sides. This is how the gen2 10 speeds were made.

Looking at the 2011-2014 f150s the MAP sensor and quick connect are on the same side just as our 15-17 Expeditions. The piping, mounting, and hardware are all the same. It’s a direct fit replacement. See below

My 16s Cold side charge pipe
1E143B6F-7A5A-4711-8D1B-E7569F5E5B2A.jpeg

Mishimoto 11-14 cold side pipe
2921E352-50AB-4122-A274-D7B77559C81A.jpeg

Mishimoto 2016 cold side pipe (notice the different location for the PCV quick fitting)
D6474178-832E-40F8-8A6F-EF6355F1B460.jpeg

OP
OP
16plati

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mishimoto intercooler utilize core 1 from the graph

DBDF47EA-FAB8-4B04-8453-A5C13640BDEF.jpeg 58EC487B-398F-4E01-8777-E0C5365A7942.jpeg

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you look at the cold air charge pipe for instance, 2015-2017 f150s have the pipe that connects to the throttle body with the MAP sensor and quick fitting on opposite sides. This is how the gen2 10 speeds were made.

Looking at the 2011-2014 f150s the MAP sensor and quick connect are on the same side just as our 15-17 Expeditions. The piping, mounting, and hardware are all the same. It’s a direct fit replacement. See below

My 16s Cold side charge pipe
View attachment 30064

Mishimoto 11-14 cold side pipe
View attachment 30065

Mishimoto 2016 cold side pipe (notice the different location for the PCV quick fitting)
View attachment 30066

Go for it! Look forward to hearing about it. You going to do the install or have a shop do it?

Just concerned based on position of our Motor vs Grill that it might have some slight differences.

Did you confirm mounts in the Grill area are the same?

OP
OP
16plati

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go for it! Look forward to hearing about it. You going to do the install or have a shop do it?

Just concerned based on position of our Motor vs Grill that it might have some slight differences.

Did you confirm mounts in the Grill area are the same?

Yes, there is actually more room in the Expeditions than there is the f150s. Intercooler mounts are the same as well as it’s the same exact intercooler used on the two trucks

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, there is actually more room in the Expeditions than there is the f150s. Intercooler mounts are the same as well as it’s the same exact intercooler used on the two trucks

Good Stuff!!!

Dude, looking forward to seeing results.

You need to get some baseline IAT, and CAT temps for before/after. That way we can see what the improvement is in differential!

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
My comment was only in regards to cooling to (near) ambient air temperature which will require your definition of "near" ambient temperature.

Nothing magic about an intercooler. It's just another radiator, a device used to transfer thermal energy from one medium to another for the purpose of cooling or heating one medium or the other. In this case it's cooling a fluid (gas). No different from one cooling a fluid (liquid). They all work the same way and they'll not reduce the interior fluid to outside ambient due to inefficiency.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My comment was only in regards to cooling to (near) ambient air temperature which will require your definition of "near" ambient temperature.

Nothing magic about an intercooler. It's just another radiator, a device used to transfer thermal energy from one medium to another for the purpose of cooling or heating one medium or the other. In this case it's cooling a fluid (gas). No different from one cooling a fluid (liquid). They all work the same way and they'll not reduce the interior fluid to outside ambient due to inefficiency.

-- Chuck

Then say that...pretty simple.

You called it a Radiator, and yes an InterCooler/Charge Air Cooler, is at it’s simplest level a Radiator. In the car world, as I know you are aware, it is not called that, so in order to avoid confusion...don’t.

These Intercooler upgrades have proven results on the EB platform. It should be a positive power adder.

OP
OP
16plati

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score

-- Chuck
Here’s is a snapshot of a 2018 F-150 on 93 perf tune from 5star.

OEM intercooler on left. Mishimoto on right
Column H is intake air temp. When he started his first 0-100mph pull it was reading 113 degrees and was up to 138 by 75mph on OEM.

After IC install, his run started at 100 (AFTER 5 previous pulls) and was at 83 degrees at 75mph. Thts 55 degrees cooler folks. Obviously this intercooler and others like it work wonders to keep temps cold and produce more power
B324ABC9-E30E-4ACF-8623-F48E3CCA33A2.jpeg