No 4x4 Low Range or indicator light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found a 1997 Expedition, Ford shop manual, a 7500 page pdf. Now for the large job of getting to know it.

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bedrck47,

I don't like the index system on the manual I bought. I think I would rather have one of the ones you have.

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We checked out the resistance values of the 4WD Mode Selector Switch; they are all excellent. Whats next? Is it voltage readings on the Selector Switch connector?

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are a couple of youtube videos that helped me. There are others there too.
My problem turned out to be the vacuum actuator; the plunger must be seized. I am going to try to loosen it all up with penetrating lube and prying it back and forth with a big screw driver. If that doesn't work I will remove it and work on it on the bench. Both diaphragms held vacuum just fine.The new ones are $250!!

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found several dash light bulbs burned out, when I took the dash apart and removed the instrument cluster. All the lights are working now, dash illumination, and the Low Range indicator.

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the LowRange problem was related to the corrosion in the GEM which is caused by the infamous water leak from tbe windshield. I thought I heard it was where the bottom of the windshield meets the dash but I think it makes more sense on mine that it is leaking water in at the roof line but maybe it could be both places, or all around
Anyway here is a link to my problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01