No crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went to Lowes to try to get an extra key made and it did not work either, took it back right away. You have to take the car to a dealer and have one msde.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks fellas it's 29 below wind chill today so not much work I can do but ill test the wire

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At that temp the battery will have lower cranking amps than when it is warmer. Hope the battery is in good shape.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had good luck with Ace Hardware on making a second key. Problem is your first one has got to be good.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/search?q=sta...AUIDigB&biw=1344&bih=726#imgrc=HyjqI5tamgr1WM:

This is very similar in operation to what is mounted on the firewall.
The two large copper studs carry the high current from the battery to the starter. In order for it to work there needs to be low current supplied to one of the small studs that are also mounted on the side of the solenoid. The other small stud connects to ground. When it is supplied the low current a coiled wire(solenoid) inside connects a large copper disc to the large copper studs completing the circuit so that current flows to the starter.

In reply #9 we told you to test for voltage on the small wire that connects to the small stud. The ignition switch needs to be turned to "start" in order to get a reading on the meter.

If you don't see any voltage when doing the test you then need to test the ignition switch.
Notice in the testing we are not tossing parts at the problem.

Last edited:

Drae

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The MLPS on the transmission could also cause the issue you're having. Not saying it's definitely your issue, but keep it in mind when you feel like you've checked everything else. My 95 Tbird was the same way. I could start it with a screwdriver at the starter but turning the ignition was silent. It would do the no crank every once in a while but the at work one day it completely went out.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think our friend here wants to diagnose his vehicle. Stamp, myself and others have explained the basics, but he's thinking a miracle is going to pop up, and ta da, it's fixed. Cars don't fix themselves. You've got to jump in there, get dirty, or tow it to someone who will!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
I do but it's 20 below zero and no garage so I'm aborbing everything u are saying until it's safe to work on it outdoors

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk