No electric after battery replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Longshot40

Reaction score
This is a friend's vehicle. Its a 2004 Navigator.
It had to be jumped due to no start. She took it to Advance Auto Parts to test the battery. The battery was bad, so she bought a new one and replaced it herself. Afterwards, there is no power to anything with the key turned to any position. The aftermarket car alarm works. I checked the battery cables for corrosion and for connection and everything is solid there. Going to do my due diligence and check the cables a little further and check fuses, but this seems like an ignition switch issue to me. New battery has 12.7 volts. Not sure what else it could be unless there is some weird anti-theft thing going on. I don't know much about anti-theft systems, but I am under the impression that they usually just prevent start or disable after start, but don't completely shut everything down. Am I missing something here? Also, anyone know if the steering column shroud can be removed easily without pulling the steering wheel? Thanks.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust Advance Auto Part's "battery test". Anyone who asks is told they need a battery.

Do headlights and horn work? What makes you suspect an ignition switch?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easiest way to check if an electrical ignition switch is working is test the small starter push on lead that goes to the fender mount starter relay. If it lights your test light when you turn the ignition key to start, your usually ok on the switch. Did this problem come on after a rainstorm, or severe weather? And your right, the PATS alarm system will usually let the vehicle crank, and the light on the dash will blink rapidly. Corrosion inside the cables are a common problem on these vehicles. Try using a remote starter at the firewall solenoid and see if starter cranks, if the other tests check out. Post what you find.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk