Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenerator

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I was parked listening to the radio, engine off with the key on ACC this morning. After 15 min or so, the radio turned off. Now all electrical is dead. Won't turn over, no interior lights, no dash wake up, nothing. It's like there is no battery in the vehicle.

Unfortunately, I'm at work, in my dress clothes and parked in a puddle! LOL. I at least have jumper cables and a Leatherman like multi-tool.

I've never had a battery fail instantly. It's like a switch was turned off. I thought I could test it by hooking up jumper cables and tap them quickly to see if I still have spark. Thinking no spark = failed battery.

Anyone have ideas or input that I could investigate beyond battery?

Thanks in advance!

Ken

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only because I was a commercial off-shore fisherman, where there is no road service, I carry a jumper battery pack.

A simple fix would be to remove and clean the batt cables and posts of any corrosion, then attach the cables firmly.

Your idea of shorting the jumper cables will show if you have spark, but it won't solve your no-start problem if there are other failures.

Do you have road-side insurance?

After you are moving again, invest in a volt/ohm meter, and a jumper pack, and hope you never have to use them.

OP
OP
Kenerator

Kenerator

Reaction score
Thanks Don. I actually cleaned the battery posts and connectors about a month ago. They are pretty clean. I have a volt/ohm meter, but it's at home.
If I get no spark, I'm going to assume the battery failed and my wife will bring me a battery. If I get a healthy spark, I'll assume it's something else that I can't diagnose with limited resources on hand and have AAA tow it to the shop.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't zap the wires together, it can blow out your computer. Especially since your SUVs in water. Not to mention you could shock yourself or worse. Start with a jump start and troubleshoot from there. It's possible your main power fuse or relay blew, or your ignition switch, the one behind key tumbler went south on you. Report back what you find.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kenerator

Kenerator

Reaction score
Thanks Moose,
One of the gals here at work has one of those portable jump box things. I'll try that first.
Where is the main power fuse and relay?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You haven't told us what year/engine size you have? Location of fuse boxes are different, and so are the fuse locations.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your co-worker's batt pack works, don't shut of the engine until you have access to a charger.

OP
OP
Kenerator

Kenerator

Reaction score
2004 Expedition EB, 5.4, pretty sure it's a 2-valve (has std style spark plugs), 4x4

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would be better off using a set of jumper cables and letting the other vehicle charge your battery enough to get you home. If you alternator or charging circuit has failed you will still have a dead battery if you use the jump box.

OP
OP
Kenerator

Kenerator

Reaction score
Jump pack worked. Engine is running normally. No indication that anything is wrong. Letting it run a bit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkxr4