No Heat / Blend Door Tap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caleb Boyer

Reaction score
Hi all. 2003 expedition with 5.4 L
Winter is almost here, I have no heat. Been noticing a tapping when I change temperature, which goes away after a while. I just replaced thermostat, and engine temp is good. I replaced the blend door actuator, but still have a tapping noise and still no heat.

Is there more than one blend door? As in a separate one for heat and cool, and separate one that changes direction of air? Air will change from vent to floor and defrost just as it should. AC blows cold, and works great from rear air vents in roof as well, but no heat from front or roof vents what so ever.

my thoughts are either another blend door I’m not aware of, or flushing heater core.

the blend door I replaced was the one under the radio, on top of the AC Box

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's your actuator that adjusts your cabin air temp. Not sure which one that is though. I had the rear one go bad on my 2003 and it made a tapping noise as well.

JamusDemus

Reaction score
Same issue on my 2009. I was thinking it's another actuator. I'm about to remove the glove box in addition to the radio and follow it back further. I couldn't find a schematic on it but did find a "main" actuator product I can buy. However I haven't found a diagram showing where that one is located. So I think it's a little more lower and behind where the one we replaced is. If I can't access it via glove box and radio access points then I figure the dash board will have to come out.

JamusDemus

Reaction score
I have discovered it's in a really bad location and not easy to get to. It's almost on the flood, behind the passenger side floor vent. Removing the center console in my expedition didn't help or provide access to screws to assist. It's way too far from the driver's side to bend the ducts and reach in there with a tiny socket wrench. So.... I'm at the point where I'm going to bring it to a shop. I'm prepared to spend the hundreds it takes although I'm not happy about it. I spent about 8 solid hours working on it this weekend. Not sure if it's the same on a 2003.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theres a few of them. I think 4 if you have the dual zone digital climate control. I can look up diagrams and disassembly info for you tomorrow to see if you're still up for the task.

heston gee

Reaction score
I've read multiple threads regarding this issue. I have an 05 with dual climate control. I get heat on the passenger side floor and upper vents and cold on the driver side like wise. Adjusting the driver side temp only moves between floor and panel. There is no clicking, that I can hear, coming from the lower blend door actuator. Any thoughts on additional troubleshooting would be great. I have about 4 months give or take before I need heat.