No power going Up Hill???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodrow34

Reaction score
This is my first Expedition... 2003 4.6L XLT w/140000

Driving up to Tahoe this weekend, during the hills climbs I would lose all power. My tranny would shift and the engine roaring at 4000rpm with the pedal to the floor. (Uhaul trucks passing me!)

Check engine light blinking at me only when going up.

Now getting on highway I have to baby it up to speed. If I gas it, I get a hesitation, blinking engine light and NO power.

Any ideas?

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Driving up to Tahoe this weekend, during the hills climbs I would lose all power. My tranny would shift and the engine roaring at 4000rpm with the pedal to the floor. (Uhaul trucks passing me!)

Now getting on highway I have to baby it up to speed. If I gas it, I get a hesitation, blinking engine light and NO power.

Any ideas?

First take it to Autozone or one of the auto stores that offer free obdII code testing, make sure you write down any and all codes, let us know the codes, then we can help you figure out what the possible solution is.
A bad TPS sensor can give you a bad day, but it could even be a vauum line or the elbow at the back of the intake. Get the codes first tho, it will save you money.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
He's in California, those stores probably won't scan it for free.

But don't worry, obd readers can be had for under $50

Also remember, it's a 4.6 so you aren't going to have a whole lot of power to begin with.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the 4.6 is a stong motor. and in cali you cant borrow them any more. :( had to buy one years ago. still works great! just buy one so you have it. works on all makes and models. cost i think $65 with tax and everything. dont remember. just get one that says the code name too. not just the code number. and then you have super fancy ones that say what the problem is where its located and how to fix it. but those are costly.

OP
OP
W

Woodrow34

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,
Even though in CA, I think there might be one free thing left! Either way I will get the codes and post them soon.

I know its the 4.6 but literally a Uhaul truck passed me, its shouldn't be that bad, Right?

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,
Even though in CA, I think there might be one free thing left! Either way I will get the codes and post them soon.

I know its the 4.6 but literally a Uhaul truck passed me, its shouldn't be that bad, Right?

No it should not be that bad at all, unlless the uhaul had a bad ass built motor, it could be that you simply need to buy a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner and clean your sensor, whats the mileage and when was a tune up done?

Btw, i have the better pi 5.4 motor with a custom tune, and I think my motor could use some more power, but that is irrelevant (sp?)

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Any ideas?

Definatley check the codes but the part about the check engine light flashing usually states that it has detected a missfire in one or more cylinders. With 140k on the clock if a tune up has not been done it could be that you have a COP that is failing or a bad plug or even a combo of multiple issues.

OP
OP
W

Woodrow34

Reaction score
Just bought the truck 2 weeks ago. Don't know anything about it
140k on it.
I need to start working on it to save some $$$.
Do I just get MAF cleaner at auto parts store? Fairly straight forward procedure?
Sorry to be such a rookie any help would be great.
What about this Gotts Mod I am reading about recommended after I get it running right.

OP
OP
W

Woodrow34

Reaction score
Ok the moment you have all been waiting for... Well maybe not really but here is what the scan pulled.

P030 - Cat system efficiency Bank 2
P0457 - Evap (fuel Cap)
P0171 - System too lien Bank 1
C0303
P0600 - CAN Data bus malfunction

Any help is greatly appreciated

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the 4.6 is a stong motor. and in cali you cant borrow them any more. :( had to buy one years ago. still works great! just buy one so you have it. works on all makes and models. cost i think $65 with tax and everything. dont remember. just get one that says the code name too. not just the code number. and then you have super fancy ones that say what the problem is where its located and how to fix it. but those are costly.

The 4.6 is a nice motor. .. in a mustang. I personally think it is a joke to put it in a 2 1/2 ton truck when the 5.4 is available. My 4.6 is very reliable and have never had any major problems, but at 7000 feet, it still gets around fine, but is working at some high rpms. Some forced induction would be nice.