No power to radio fuse.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoakncop

Reaction score
Ok so here's my issue.....

I purchased an OEM Navigation unit for my 2008 Ford Expedition EL King Ranch about a year ago. Everything worked, including the overhead DVD system. Just recently, my entire Nav system will come on and then turn off. I took it by Ford to have them fix it (we have a warranty). Ford ruled the Navigation system as fried thinking the warranty company wouldn't cover electronics and tried to sell me a new $2500 head unit. However, my warranty company has given the authorization to fix it and now Ford is going back on doing the repairs, mainly because myself and the warranty company believe Ford misdiagnosed the issue. We believe this because at the direction of the warranty company, I was going to send the unit off to United Radio for bench testing. So after taking the Nav out and putting an aftermarket CD player temporarily until the Nav system would get back, I found out that the aftermarket system is doing the same thing....turning on then right off again. So I then removed that unit and started pin point testing the factory harness.

I am getting power at the constant power, however, I am not getting power at the ignition wire. I then checked all the fuses, relays, and ignition switch. All are are good, with the exception to the 5 amp fuse under the passenger side that controls the ACM (audio control module/ radio). The fuse is good but no power. I've traced just about every ground I could find and they all seem good too.

I spoke with a mechanic friend of mine and he said just to tap into the ignition wire from the actual ignition switch, splice in an inline fuse and then bypass the factory ignition wire all together, thus also bypassing the PCM. My issue with this is my Nav system also monitors DTC's from the Nav system and I do t want to bypass the PCM unless it is absolutely necessary. I prefer Ford to fix what the they should've done...but in the event they don't or won't, does anyone out there have any ideas as to what could be going on? I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Matt.

Mike Thomas

Reaction score
Hi Matt don’t know if you fixed your no power to 5amp fuse for the radio but I have the exact same scenario. If you found it could you please reply. Thanks Mike

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Expy woes. Hopefully, this information can be of some help.

Attachments

• FCB80406-F54F-419D-8821-5081BCC114C1.jpeg
    FCB80406-F54F-419D-8821-5081BCC114C1.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 46BB97EF-135B-4807-ADCB-D4001811C2F9.jpeg
    46BB97EF-135B-4807-ADCB-D4001811C2F9.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 10

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone found out where f28 in the 08 gets its power.........exact same scenario as Mike
Alan, if you look at the two schematics you see that f28 in the Smart Junction Box. One mentions it being the switched power. The other schematic shows where power flows once switched. One can figure out which circuit provides the voltage using this schematic.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so here's my issue.....

I purchased an OEM Navigation unit for my 2008 Ford Expedition EL King Ranch about a year ago. Everything worked, including the overhead DVD system. Just recently, my entire Nav system will come on and then turn off. I took it by Ford to have them fix it (we have a warranty). Ford ruled the Navigation system as fried thinking the warranty company wouldn't cover electronics and tried to sell me a new $2500 head unit. However, my warranty company has given the authorization to fix it and now Ford is going back on doing the repairs, mainly because myself and the warranty company believe Ford misdiagnosed the issue. We believe this because at the direction of the warranty company, I was going to send the unit off to United Radio for bench testing. So after taking the Nav out and putting an aftermarket CD player temporarily until the Nav system would get back, I found out that the aftermarket system is doing the same thing....turning on then right off again. So I then removed that unit and started pin point testing the factory harness.

I am getting power at the constant power, however, I am not getting power at the ignition wire. I then checked all the fuses, relays, and ignition switch. All are are good, with the exception to the 5 amp fuse under the passenger side that controls the ACM (audio control module/ radio). The fuse is good but no power. I've traced just about every ground I could find and they all seem good too.

I spoke with a mechanic friend of mine and he said just to tap into the ignition wire from the actual ignition switch, splice in an inline fuse and then bypass the factory ignition wire all together, thus also bypassing the PCM. My issue with this is my Nav system also monitors DTC's from the Nav system and I do t want to bypass the PCM unless it is absolutely necessary. I prefer Ford to fix what the they should've done...but in the event they don't or won't, does anyone out there have any ideas as to what could be going on? I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Matt.
Matt, I posted two schematics that might help you.