No rush for this, just wondering out loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Randy-IA

Reaction score
I might try that.

Totally agree with the turning across traffic part and losing power...who would think that's a good thing? Engineers sometimes don't really think things 'as through' as they think they do.

Yesterday I went around the loop in my drive and before I got to it I switched off the traction control. Nailed it around the bend and Iwas able to maintain a good 'drift' all the way around by feathering the foot feed. No loss of power in two wheel drive in snow. I could feel the traction control working very slightly though, but not enough to cause problems.

We're getting more snow right now so tomorrow I'll do some 'spearamintin'. I live 2 miles off paved roads so playing on the gravel roads doesn't upset the people who aren't really here anyway. Only thing I have to worry about is the unexpected happening with the traction control system; there are really deep ditch's along the roads out here (6' +) for snow storage. If the system kicks in or out at a time when I need control on my own it might be a long walk home to get the tractor. On a good day I can walk about 100 yards so wish me luck!

Reaction score
Look for a programmer device that let's you modify those settings or go to a tuner. I'm running mine on 35 tires and 20 x 10 wheels speedometer is a lil off but I'm OK with it. Plus not sure what the previous owner did but the AdvanceTrac is off and stays off. That might be something you might wanna look in to. Mine also came with a button to turn it off/on but not sure what they did that it is always off. Here's a pic of my 04 xlt lifted with a leveling kit only. The rest all tire gain. 35s all- terrain

20200730_143408.jpg

Reaction score
It does drift nice on wet roads, lucky I have some experience on that but not on this one just worried I don't flip it someday since it's so high

OP
OP
R

Randy-IA

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the advice. But this old gal has too many miles to do anything drastic to it. Both front body mounts are rusted pretty bad, 230,000 on meter, a quart of oil every 1500 miles, ,,,,it's just not worth it. Besides, I'm too old to play like that anymore. Not because i don't want to too, but because I can't.

On the other hand I have Dodge 2500 tall boy that has already got a good bit of height, solid axles, 4 wheel disks, and a grumpy nasty 360 gas eater. It too has a lot of problems but it goes where I point it more often than not. No traction control other than a factory limited slip. It works good too. It's a pain driving it on icy roads but i was busting 4 foot drifts a couple years ago in a blizzard. At least up until I got within about a mile of my acreage when I could not see anything but a wall of blowing snow. It turned out to be a drift taller than the hood on my truck. Sudden stop but stayed out of the ditch. About an hour later snow choked out the engine by filling the fender wells with packed in snow.

That truck has some good insulation in it or something. But I also had plenty of blankets, water, and food and was ready to camp out. I called the county engineers office after the sun came up to let them give the maintainer operators a heads up if they decided to come through with a drift buster. I was getting cozy under a wool blanket and was just about asleep (I work late nights so I got stuck at around 4 am). About 8 am the blizzard was still in full swing. I was just falling asleep when I was rudely woke up by someone pounding on my drivers window and trying to open the door. It was the county engineer himself. He brought his own pickup to get me and give me a ride to my place just down the road but by an alternate route.

Later in the day when the blizzard finally fizzled out the neighbor who's place I was near showed up at my house with his 9foot 3PH snowblower on his tractor. I loaded a fresh battery and some tools and we pulled it out from under a pile of snow. This is what I found.

upload_2021-2-4_0-16-0.png

It was like ice. It was near 10 degrees to and the wind was still blowing. But I got under it and dug out the packed in snow, put the fresh battery in, and she fired right up. Overall it was pretty fun.