Noise from air compressor Need help !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marc0834

Reaction score
Noise from air compressor Need help !!! check suspension light is ON

I was wondering if anybody knows the noise coming from the kick panel of the passenger side floor. this happends when i leave the car for a while .I noticed if my expy is not leveled from the back the noise comes and it is like a air compressor.do anyone knows what it is and how can i fix my problem ?

Last edited:

dyurkosr

Reaction score
marc, I don't understand what noise is coming from the kick panel, but as far as the leveling....under the hood on the passanger side right behind the headlamp should be a small air pump. This provides the air for your air ride system. It is normal for the car to sit lower when it has been sitting for awhile.

OP
OP
M

marc0834

Reaction score
but mine makes noises when the expy raises or when it levels like a vibrating noise theat you can feel from the kick panel.you can even hear it. Is that normal

dyurkosr

Reaction score
Actually, the noise on the inside of the truck is probably louder than the outside. The pump will make noise when the truck is leveling - if the chk sus light is on, the pump may be running too long, not enough or the front is leveling different from the rear. Ya gotta check it out.....

Reaction score
The compressors on the Expedition & Navigators are pretty much junk from the factory. I was a Ford/Lincoln tech for 15 years and had to replace MANY of them under 12,000 miles, when a compressor is usually good to go for 5 years+ on a new vehicle.

When you turn on the ignition, do you hear the compressor come on now? The suspension module or "brain", will only try to make a raise adjustment for a maximum of 90 seconds before the system will time out. When it times out, the system won't make ANY adjustments until the ignition is turned off, then back on again.

If your compressor has finally died, you will be getting this error message until it is replaced. If its on all the time, I would make plans to have it looked at, or call me and I'll help you get going again. Either way, you should probably turn off the suspension switch to make sure the air doesn't go the other way(leak through the compressor). This of course is just temporary, as the vehicle will eventually lower by itself with the switch off.

BTW, is yours a 4 x 4 or 4 x 2? The reason I ask is because the 4 x 4's are notorious for breaking the line union just under the master cylinder. I would check this out first. If it is cracked, it can't build any pressure.

Last edited: