Noise when unlocking/locking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UpsideDownIn

Reaction score
Brand new 2020 Ford Expedition MAX owner. This maybe normal, but have owners here experience a "vibrating" noise when they unlock/lock their vehicle. Sometimes it occurs immediately before unlocking/locking, and other times it happens seconds after.

Is that the "starter" maybe?

Thanks in advance.

Phil2D2

Reaction score
I think you're describing the fuel pump priming...or what I have assumed is fuel pump. I figure with the push button start, the vehicle doesn't really have a way to know "I am about to be started" like the first position of a key ignition would typically provide, so its queue is someone opening the door.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you're describing the fuel pump priming...or what I have assumed is fuel pump. I figure with the push button start, the vehicle doesn't really have a way to know "I am about to be started" like the first position of a key ignition would typically provide, so its queue is someone opening the door.

Bingo.

(That or he’s hearing the automatic running boards deploy and retract)

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine will do it in the garage just sitting there.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The video is to far from the noise and has some echo or distortion.

Kinda sounds like the fuel pump which is normal

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a video of it: at 1s and 10s mark
That is what it sounds like when my fuel pump primes right as I open the door after a 2+ hour sit. But it only happens when I open the door and only once. I wonder if you and @Uturn have a glitch somewhere that is causing the priming system to go haywire.

OP
OP
U

UpsideDownIn

Reaction score
Yep, I've experienced the same as @Uturn. It's random if I use the fob to unlock, but was able to get it to trigger everytime with the remote unlock/lock.

Also, it had been sitting cold for awhile. I'll keep an eye on it as the car breaks in. Thanks!