Not quite my Expedition... (Escape AC condenser question)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If this needs to be removed b/c it's about an Escape, please do so with my apologies.

Hi all,

Not in the mood to join a Ford Escape forum at the moment but my daughter bumped someone at a stoplight. No damage and no worries from that guy but the plastic bumper on the Escape punched a hole in the AC condenser.

Does this part also serve as a transmission cooler? I let her drive it 5 hours home from college so I could fix it and I didn't even think about the tranny. It drives fine she says.

Can I go ahead and buy a part from Advance or do I need to go OEM?

Alan

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as no trans fluid leaked out it is likely fine, but do check and make sure it hasn’t been pumping fluid everywhere. Anyway I’d think an aftermarket condenser would be fine.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The radiator has the heat exchanger for the transmission inside one of the tanks. All you need to do is replace the condeser. Check RockAuto.com I usually get Four Seasons if they are listed. Never had an issue with any of their products.
You may also want to swap out the service ports while it is down, most leak after a while.

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, Jexpedition and stamp.

Good idea on the service ports - that's "service cap and valve core kit" on some sites, or similar.

Also - would the "O-ring kit" be included? I'll have to verify.

Local part stores don't have in stock ($100-200). Ford dealer does. ($200-240).
I've never used RockAuto but have heard good things. They run ($45-$145 - with the $145 being a Motorcraft part).
If they do next-day shipping, I'm good. If not, I may have to go local.

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I replaced the condenser and accumulator/dryer yesterday. Went pretty smoothly. Pulled a vacuum on the system and it only drew it down to -18 (where everyone on youtube seems to get it to -30. The vacuum pump had water vapor coming out which I assumed was the result of air moisture in the system.

I shut off both valves on the gauges and turned off the pump. It held at -18 for 30 minutes. My daughters were taking the care the next morning so I went ahead and added 3 oz of oil and then 680g of R134a ( a little shy of the 710 needed). The thing blows COLD air and the girls said it was cold on their 2-hour trip. We'll see how she lasts...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni