O/H temp LED 2000 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
My overhead temp/compass LED readout went off a couple of weeks ago. Has anyone repaired, replaced theirs?

Jeff

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a soldering iron and solder, you can probably repair it in an hour. This issue usually occurs due to a fallen off resistor or some other component from the circuit board. Here's a post I made in another thread on what it could be and how to fix it. If you need a visual, there are a couple of videos on Youtube on how to do it.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/posts/354093/

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a used one off of eBay from a junk yard for like 35 or 40 bucks. I would try the soldering first then if that doesn't work try eBay.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lonestarjeff

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
I bought a used one off of eBay from a junk yard for like 35 or 40 bucks. I would try the soldering first then if that doesn't work try eBay.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

My plumbing solder skills are better than my electrical solder, but I can get by. I'll report my results.

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My plumbing solder skills are better than my electrical solder, but I can get by. I'll report my results.

It's pretty easy, yet if you have big fingers then tweezers may come in handy when dealing with the fallen off resistor/chip.

OP
OP
lonestarjeff

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
It's pretty easy, yet if you have big fingers then tweezers may come in handy when dealing with the fallen off resistor/chip.

Tweezers indeed, no way I could have done it without them. Can't believe I originally posted this thread so long ago, but I just got around to fixing the dark display. Here's a couple of pics....

1h6ecVV.jpg

QV3UnE1.jpg

Yfadt2a.jpg

Both of the 510 resistors were lose on one end. It wasn't pretty, but I got them both re-soldered(not on the 1st or 2nd try) :)

Thanks everybody for the links & comments.

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, loose resistors, there you go! Glad you've got it figured out.

Apollo02exp

Reaction score
Rapid Electronics

Automotive Electronic Component Repair
Programming / Odometer Correction

Austin, TX

We are a proud ASE/L1 certified repair facility

This is a repair service to your Overhead Console Temp Compass Fuel Display.
You will need to send us your unit after purchase.

THIS REPAIR SERVICE IS FOR THE FOLLOWING MAKES AND MODELS:

1998 – 2008 Ford F-150

1998 – 2008 Ford F-250

1998 – 2008 Ford F-350

1999 – 2005 Ford Excursion

1998 – 2005 Ford Expedition

1998 – 2003 Ford Explorer

1998 – 2011 Crown Victoria

1998 – 2011 Grand Marquis

1998 – 2005 Lincoln Navigator

2003 – 2004 Maruder

1998 – 2002 Mountaineer

1998 – 2004 Lincoln Town Car

IF THE ITEM SHOWS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR VEHICLE THAT IS OK. JUST MAKE SURE IT IS WITHIN THE YEAR AND MODEL LISTED ABOVE. EBAY ONLY LETS YOU ADD A FEW YEAR MODELS IN THE AD.

THE UNIT IS REPAIRED THE SAME DAY WE RECEIVE IT AND IS SHIPPED BACK USPS PRIORITY MAIL.

Common Issues:

Dim/Dead Display
Dim/Dead Back Lighting
Intermittent Display Lighting

This repair service will fix all listed issues.

REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS:

Remove the 1 screw at the front of console (near rear-view mirror). Grab the console firmly and pull down.
Disconnect electrical connector, then remove the black display from the console with a T10 Torx Bit. We only need the black display unit. No need to send the entire plastic console.

Box it up and send it to us for repair. You pay to ship it to us. We pay to ship it back to you.

Free return shipping.

Same day repair service. Lifetime Warranty on the work performed.

These are common failures of the unit, and can be repaired and upgraded without replacing the unit, providing a permanent solution to the problem with a LIFETIME warranty on the work performed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357