OCT/VVT and camshaft position sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2008 expedition at around 189,00 miles I replaced the timing chain. I'm at 193,000 and I've been having a consistent issue. At about 192,000 the CEL came on and the codes were p0340 and p0344. I changed both camshaft position sensors and the code came back. I took the timing cover back off the engine just to double check that I did the timing right and it was good. I thought they could've been bad sensors because they weren't Motorcraft sensors so I bought Motorcraft sensors and put them in and the code was still there. I ended up taking it to Ford and they told me the issue was with my variable valve timing solenoid, so I changed both of those, and now I'm getting a P0020, P0340, and P0344. Also after I drive for about 20 mins the engine makes a ticking sound but it isn't constant. I'm at a loss for what the issue could be.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you replace the cam phasers with new Motorcraft phasers when you did the chains ?

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a 5.4 3v here that previous owner attempted to fix with no name parts. Parts failed, poo got in the oil, motor is toast. What was a failed tensioner is now a full rebuild.
I have a shop full of aftermarket stuff, but all the 5.4's get only OEM timing components. Oil system gets a Melling pump.
For the labor it takes to get to these parts, and considering the potential catastrophic damage that bad parts could cause, I will not take a chance with bargain parts.