Odor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i have a 2016 FORD Expedition and for about 3 months i have had an odor inside the vehicle that i would describe as smelling like a "cow pasture". i thought maybe the carpet was a little musty under the rubber mats so i cleaned them thoroughly but it did not improve the situation. my car was in the body shop a couple weeks ago and it seems to have maybe picked up a paint odor on top of the other smell. i looked into it and i guess this vehicle does not have a cabin filter so i can't replace that. there are little air filters under seat for the air-conditioned seats - i have not looked into those.

any ideas? i live in Minnesota and the smell started just as things seemed to be warming up. have not really been able to determine where the smell is coming from (i.e. vents, seats, carpet, etc.). really don't want to have to resort to covering up the odor with air fresheners, etc. its in the shop getting an oil change today and they talked about an "ozone treatment". i guess i would try that if it is not expensive.

OP
OP
Bernhard Arnar
Reaction score
found this when i searched the forum site - improperly drained evaporator?

Hey guys...I searched about this topic but found little or irrelevant info on it. I'm sorry if I'm touching on a subject already discussed. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction.
It's getting hot here in VA and it's the start of AC season it seems. Lately, I've noticed a mildew/mold smell coming from the vents when the AC is on. In fact, I can smell it with the AC off. It's coming form the vents.
It is NOT the heater core as I've had no problems with that. It's with the AC and I heard that it may be the evaporator not draining (properly)

How do I go about checking this? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Any help would be most definitely appreciated.
Tanks again guys.

Edit: Forgot to mention it's a 2006 EB

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might find at a local retailer, but on Amazon I'd try Lubegard 96030 Kool-It Evaporator & heater core foam cleaner

https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-960...c+deodorizer&qid=1560355432&s=gateway&sr=8-94

If nothing else, watch the video in the above ad.

You could also just as easily try setting the HVAC to fresh air, start & run the truck with the AC on, lift the hood and spray some Lysol into the intake grate at the base of the windshield. Let that work for several minutes then open the passenger front door, turn the HVAC to re-circulation mode (or MAX A?C) and spray Lysol into the passenger front footwell. This is all assuming there is some mold growth in/on the evaporator core.

On a humid day (with AC running) does the truck drip condensation underneath, near the passenger front tire? If not, then could be a clogged drain. Couple threads going on this issue recently.

An ozone treatment would be great for smoke or pet odor in the fabric, headliner, and carpet, but won't do much more than temporarily mask a musky HVAC core.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Remove the panels under the wipers, they may have trapped debris, like leaves or Maple tree helicopters. My 2001 Lincoln had an old lady perfume smell and would make me sneeze. A cabin filter change made a huge improvement. Hertz rental, left a bottle of freshwave IAQ spray. I had a stinky rental. It works. They claim it even gets rid of vomit smell and smoke. You spray it on the carpets and air vents.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i always run the a/c on recirc.
and i bought some essential oils in 1997 in Dubai ..they are the oils you add alcohol or water to, to make perfume or cologne.
anyway i have a bottle of Tommy Hilfinger.. a few drops of this oil in the back by the air vent and a few under the passenger seat once a month and she smells fresh combined with the saddle smell .
i still have 4 bottles :) its so strong you have to wear gloves or you will never wash it off your hands

back on topic

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some cars are notorious for odors from moisture in there.
Trailbalzers for example.
You need to every now and then, turn compressor off and let the fan blow out vents and rear on med to high to dry the evaporators off so they won't get the fuzz that is on them all smelly and moldy.
Lysol in the air intake areas helps too.
Short of this, it takes disassembly to get to evap cores and clean/hose off. Ive done a a couple from cowl area with water hose and degreaser or coil cleaner. Usually because or little to no air flow getting through.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Make sure the drain for the heater plentum is open. Run your A/C and make sure it's dripping water under the car. If not, water accumulates in the plentum, collects leaves and mung which rot and smell. It can overflow onto the carpets. If clogged, look for the drain hose and poke the clog out of it with a piece of plastic wire. There are instructions on YouTube...

You could also have a dead mouse or whatever lives in them parts somewhere...

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[QUOTE="You could also have a dead mouse or whatever lives in them parts somewhere...[/QUOTE]
For sure! One morning I put my golf clubs into the back floor area of my crew cab pickup to play a round after work that day. A mouse must have been hiding in the bag and the next day my truck began to stink like mad...so bad that I had to drive with a window partially open in the Phoenix summer. Amazing how such a small critter could stink so bad. I located the source of the stench where the driver's shoulder belt retractor was located. It wasn't much of a job to remove the trim piece and pull out the remains and spray the area with Lysol. Then I used paper towels saturated with vanilla extract in a pie tin to overwhelm the smell. In a day or two stink was all gone. Vanilla extract is a good odor eliminator.