Off-road in '17 EL 4WD - steep, rutted climbs (videos - link fixed)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just pop a couple of washers between the plate and frame there. It’ll drop the plate slightly.
Looks like our hanger is in a slightly different spot than the F150s and the F150s hanger likely lines right up in the center or that slot.

OP
OP
shinysideup2

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Black. I'll try the washers. I like simple + effective ideas. Thanks.

BTW, I got the Bilstein 6112's installed up front a couple months ago. Thanks for your advice. I like the height adjustability (I've got it set on 0.5" lift) and digressive valving. Steep damping curve for low-speed movements, progressively falls for for higher-speed movements. Reminds me of sportbikes when cartridge forks got popular (valve shims for high-speed relief on damping). They're not bad on street nor on high-speed bumpy stuff. I'm getting a lot of oversteer on high-speed washboards (50+ MPH bends), so I'll be interested to see how things improve once I get new dampers on the rear. I just received my Rancho ReadyLifts (9000 series) - I decided to go this route largely for the adjustability. I want the damping stiff when towing and soft when wheeling. :) I've also got the 90" Chassis Unlimited Universal sliders with gussets/mounting reinforcements sitting in my garage waiting for "creative installation". I may have my body shop do this for me. Next up after that will be a rear sway bar (Hellwig 7688).

Been camping (towing a 3500 lb R-Pod travel trailer) monthly. Deserts and beaches are nice this time of year in So Cal.

How have you guys been?

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad to hear you like them.
I am still parts collecting and it is going a bit slowly as my bank account is trying to recover from my emergency appendectomy this summer.
Plus I am needing to do everything all at once. Wheels, tires, upper control arms, struts, rear spacers. I don’t want to have to duplicate any work or the truck look funny lifted with stock wheels and tires.

OP
OP
shinysideup2

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Adding one video of a small rock climb in Joshua Tree, CA. Berdoo Canyon Trail northbound (from Dillon Rd to Geology Tour Rd). 33.83336, -116.07304. The wheelbase and frame components hanging low below the underbelly significantly limit the breakover angle. Lots of scraping. Still, in balance, it gets us where we need to go. It needs more/better armor, a tad more lift + larger tires once these Nitto Exo Grapplers wear down.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360