Oil catch can for a ‘19 MAX Limited?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

302Xplorer

Reaction score
I’ve searched through posts here but found conflicting information. Some say it’s not necessary due to it not having “direct injection” but I’ve seen technical Specifications that say it does. Where am I going wrong? Do the 2019 Expedition’s need an oil catch cans like the previous generations? If they do, what cans do the other 4th gen owners like?

Thanks,
Ted

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve searched through posts here but found conflicting information. Some say it’s not necessary due to it not having “direct injection” but I’ve seen technical Specifications that say it does. Where am I going wrong? Do the 2019 Expedition’s need an oil catch cans like the previous generations? If they do, what cans do the other 4th gen owners like?

Thanks,
Ted

I do not think the Expedition engines “need” a catch-can. Installation of one could potentially void your engine warranty from Ford.

Some people feel they know more than Ford’s engine engineers and add a catch-can.

Just don’t ask what is the best oil or oil filter to use......

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do not think the Expedition engines “need” a catch-can. Installation of one could potentially void your engine warranty from Ford.

Some people feel they know more than Ford’s engine engineers and add a catch-can.

Just don’t ask what is the best oil or oil filter to use......

Yep, cause Ford Engineers have never made mistakes... Cam Phasers, fluid buildup in IC, Voodoo motor oil consumption(GT350's)...I could keep going.

In defense of the Engineers, sometimes things aren't added because of bean counters, or the average Joe's ability to handle the upkeep.

Hellcat's come from the factory with one, and the user is given specific instructions on how to handle.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve searched through posts here but found conflicting information. Some say it’s not necessary due to it not having “direct injection” but I’ve seen technical Specifications that say it does. Where am I going wrong?

2nd Gen 3.5TT Ecoboosts, like the 18+ 4th Gen Expedition has, actually has BOTH. It has Port injectors and Direct Injectors.

mrmachinist

Reaction score
I put a upr can on our ‘19.

Ford master tech at my dealer said he recommended everyone put one on, but few people actually do it. His quote was “a what’s Ford going to say? You kept the engine TOO clean?”

It may not need it but mine pulled some nasty junk out so I’m happy I installed one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Ford master tech at my dealer said he recommended everyone put one on, but few people actually do it. His quote was “a what’s Ford going to say? You kept the engine TOO clean?”

It may not need it but mine pulled some nasty junk out so I’m happy I installed one.

I put one on my 2018. If I’m worried about it I’ll take the JLT plug and play can off, replace the factory hose and take it in for warranty.

OP
OP
302Xplorer

302Xplorer

Reaction score

What model # is the UPR can on your ‘19? Was it “plug and play”?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357