Oil Catch Can Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockyRob

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Exp Platinum, 86k miles. I added an oil catch can from Amazon, it has a 3 oz can.
I drove 250 miles and the check engine light came on. I checked the can and it was full. Emptied it and bought a 3 oz extension for the can.

It has been cold, below 20 degrees when I drove it, some snow when the can filled up.
Now I am very hesitant to even drive for fear it will fill so quickly and will become a total pain for me.

I might be able to get 4-500 miles between, but I read threads where people are emptying it at each oil change.

Is it possible it was because of the weather or do I have other issues?
Should I remove it and put the original hose back on?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Exp Platinum, 86k miles. I added an oil catch can from Amazon, it has a 3 oz can.
I drove 250 miles and the check engine light came on. I checked the can and it was full. Emptied it and bought a 3 oz extension for the can.

It has been cold, below 20 degrees when I drove it, some snow when the can filled up.
Now I am very hesitant to even drive for fear it will fill so quickly and will become a total pain for me.

I might be able to get 4-500 miles between, but I read threads where people are emptying it at each oil change.

Is it possible it was because of the weather or do I have other issues?
Should I remove it and put the original hose back on?
What brand can?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK, most likely due to the cold. Do you remote start it or let it idle a lot? Won't hurt anything if it fills up. Just does what it was doing without it and going in to the inake.

Next time you empty it, post a picture of what it caught in a clear container from the side after it has sat for a few minutes. I am looking for layers.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope you aren't using these weight oils in your vehicle.
I do not. My personal choice has been Castrol Edge Full Synthetic 5W-30. However, I have read a surprising number of posts where people are using a different weight oil then recommended by manufacturer. That was reason for my question.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not. My personal choice has been Castrol Edge Full Synthetic 5W-30. However, I have read a surprising number of posts where people are using a different weight oil then recommended by manufacturer. That was reason for my question.
You can get an AOS and eliminate the need to empty the can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze