Oil change where is the bolt to drain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
not trying to be that guy, but if you have to ask how to drain the oil you probably should think about going to Jiffy Lube...

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
not trying to be that guy, but if you have to ask how to drain the oil you probably should think about going to Jiffy Lube...
Watch the video, earlier in this thread before posting condescending replies. The plug is on the front driver side, under a removable panel. Its a bit strange, by most standards. For such a large vehicle, I can't understand why they made maintenance, so difficult.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
My point is that one should be able to tell the difference between a skid plate and/or an oil pan in order to successfully execute an oil change. I have a 17 Expedition and a 19 F150 both with the 3.5. I completely understand that they don't make it easy or straight forward to see the oil pan with the skid plate which has the small marked non removable plate attached to the main plate and the felt splash shield behind.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah and let there half trained kids tear into your 50k+ vehicle. No thanks I'd rather ask a few questions myself, because I am that guy!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

When that "half trained" kid messes up and forgets a drain plug, puts in too little oil, or cross threads your oil filter, you're covered by the insurance policy of a multi-billion dollar company. Go ahead and make any of those mistakes in your driveway, and see how it plays out. That kid was also trained by a company that is doing this to make money, not break cars, and not getting instructions from hobbyists on the internet; so he's probably trained better than most on here in the simple process of changing oil. Plenty of great mechanics got their start in those places.

I know the insurance part for a fact because about 15 years ago a Jiffy Lube in FL forgot to replace the drain plug in a Nissan I owned and blew the engine about 2 miles down the road. It took less than a week for their insurance to take full responsibility, they put me in a rental, and paid the local Nissan dealer to replace a 170k mile engine with a dealer rebuilt one. I got back a better car than I went in with. And it definitely cost them more than the value of the car but as their attorney told me their "business model requires them to right these kinds of problems, even if that means they can't right off your car just because you want it back."

There are pluses and minuses to everything. You're not a genius for changing our own oil or a moron for letting others do it. But it is probably a bad idea to get into crucial components of your $50k+ vehicle if you admittedly do not know what you're doing. my 2 cents....

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
When that "half trained" kid messes up and forgets a drain plug, puts in too little oil, or cross threads your oil filter, you're covered by the insurance policy of a multi-billion dollar company. Go ahead and make any of those mistakes in your driveway, and see how it plays out. That kid was also trained by a company that is doing this to make money, not break cars, and not getting instructions from hobbyists on the internet; so he's probably trained better than most on here in the simple process of changing oil. Plenty of great mechanics got their start in those places.

I know the insurance part for a fact because about 15 years ago a Jiffy Lube in FL forgot to replace the drain plug in a Nissan I owned and blew the engine about 2 miles down the road. It took less than a week for their insurance to take full responsibility, they put me in a rental, and paid the local Nissan dealer to replace a 170k mile engine with a dealer rebuilt one. I got back a better car than I went in with. And it definitely cost them more than the value of the car but as their attorney told me their "business model requires them to right these kinds of problems, even if that means they can't right off your car just because you want it back."

There are pluses and minuses to everything. You're not a genius for changing our own oil or a moron for letting others do it. But it is probably a bad idea to get into crucial components of your $50k+ vehicle if you admittedly do not know what you're doing. my 2 cents....
Let me get this straight... You drove 2 miles with no oil plug/oil? If so, was there a oil light on? Gauge? No engine noise? I say, you were at least 50% responsible.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me get this straight... You drove 2 miles with no oil plug/oil? If so, was there a oil light on? Gauge? No engine noise? I say, you were at least 50% responsible.

Not disagreeing with any of that statement... but

I was also 19 and figured that light couldn't be right and I rolled with 3-12's in the trunk so I didn't hear or feel a lot other than music at the time. By the time I felt the engine choking on itself it was too late.

I know I had fault in that, but the point is part of the reasons those companies exist to take the liability out of your hands.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
So.. minutes after getting your oil changed, you have an oil light on and figure 'that can't be right'. I will just blast the music anyway? Are you a Re-Re? You are officially not allowed to post on anymore 'oil change' threads.