Oil change where is the bolt to drain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've taken plenty of company owned vehicles to fast lube places with zero issues. I've done my own oil changes and paid others to do them.

Ford is making it easy for me with the works great price. For a few bucks more than doing my own oil change, I don't have to rotate tires. Plus like previously stated, Ford is a big company and if it came to an issue they disputed, I would get an attorney.

With the Ford extended warranty and only doing service at Ford dealerships and even keeping my vehicle stock, if something goes wrong I can say fix it, it's only been serviced by Ford. Plus I find that when the service writer sees the history of the vehicle, they tend to be easier to work with on an issue. Case in point, they fixed a rattling heat shield problem for free when it could have been done under the extended warranty that is subject to a $100 deductible.

I don't know about anyone else but when I look at a car fax of a used vehicle and I do for every single one I would consider buying, seeing all the service done on time at a dealership is a big plus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2016-expedition-oil-change.39684/
I put the Expy up on ramps, made sure I could reach the filter, loosened it a little just to be sure I could and then I loosened the drain bolt very slowly. I let it drain for a bit before I opened up the cap on the top of the engine to release pressure. I'd heard tales of the oil squirting out too fast so I thought that might keep it from doing so. When I removed the filter it did drip down through the square hole on the driver's side.

The strap wrench I'd bought for $3.99 from Harbor Freight was too big so I ended up using the oil filter pliers and those worked.

For those folks who keep referring to the video of the Expedition EL at 1:58 into the video - the drain bolt on the non "EL" is on the passenger side, behind the right front tire and in about a foot.

I did it myself because I wanted to put Mobil One full synthetic in it along with a Mobil One filter. Maybe it is in my head but I would swear that it sounded like it was running more smoothly. The owners manual recommended full synthetic and that wasn't what the mechanic put in there during its last oil change.

I also changed the air filter. No need disconnect the plug, just undo both clips and give it a push from the driver's side - piece of cake.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put the Expy up on ramps, made sure I could reach the filter, loosened it a little just to be sure I could and then I loosened the drain bolt very slowly. I let it drain for a bit before I opened up the cap on the top of the engine to release pressure. I'd heard tales of the oil squirting out too fast so I thought that might keep it from doing so. When I removed the filter it did drip down through the square hole on the driver's side.

The strap wrench I'd bought for $3.99 from Harbor Freight was too big so I ended up using the oil filter pliers and those worked.

For those folks who keep referring to the video of the Expedition EL at 1:58 into the video - the drain bolt on the non "EL" is on the passenger side, behind the right front tire and in about a foot.

I did it myself because I wanted to put Mobil One full synthetic in it along with a Mobil One filter. Maybe it is in my head but I would swear that it sounded like it was running more smoothly. The owners manual recommended full synthetic and that wasn't what the mechanic put in there during its last oil change.

I also changed the air filter. No need disconnect the plug, just undo both clips and give it a push from the driver's side - piece of cake.
Well hold on, the guy I was replying to said he reached down from the TOP of the engine to loosen the filter. The way you describe here and in your post with the pics shows you accessed it from the BOTTOM of the vehicle. I want to see that guy get it from the top!

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Pg 307 of the 2017 owner's manual:

Recommended motor oil (U.S.): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP

Optional motor oil (U.S. and Mexico): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil XO-5W30-QFS

Ford Service "the works" uses synthetic blend. I paid around $43 for my last oil change/tire rotation. I prefer full synthetic but at this price I just come in more often. Changing it at 5K intervals.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Adam, it's not in your head. Otherwise it's in mine too. My Suv as most know is a 2000 Eddie Bauer, but when I did my first for me oil change to Mobil 1, I too noticed it running a little smoother. It's a slippery oil, and as such probably cushions parts better, which you'll feel and hear. I did at least.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Adam, it's not in your head. Otherwise it's in mine too. My Suv as most know is a 2000 Eddie Bauer, but when I did my first for me oil change to Mobil 1, I too noticed it running a little smoother. It's a slippery oil, and as such probably cushions parts better, which you'll feel and hear. I did at least.

Mobil 1 is a 'tier III' synthetic and made from base stock. It flows better cold and more resistant to heat breakdown and oxidation. I don't think it makes an engine run 'smoother'. I think you are hearing the difference of an engine, maybe a quart low vs. full. Royal Purple(tier V, a true synthetic) had a reputation of being so slippery it would improve mileage, HP and prevent rings from setting( in new engines).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who knows. It's like buying better RCA interconnects or speaker wire for the home or car stereo. Some swear by the improvements, others don't hear it, or not enough to warrant an extra $500.00 to over $3,000.00 for cables. We used to call them jewelry for your stereo. Rj, makes me wonder if a lower oil like Mobil 1 makes a small improvement, what a top tier one like Royal purple would do. Unfortunately my Suv goes through oil like a pair of teen age boys go through groceries. Some day if I get a car/truck that doesn't go through a quart every 800 miles, I'd probably give it a go. For now the $5.99 a quart Mobil's got to do.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Who knows. It's like buying better RCA interconnects or speaker wire for the home or car stereo. Some swear by the improvements, others don't hear it, or not enough to warrant an extra $500.00 to over $3,000.00 for cables. We used to call them jewelry for your stereo. Rj, makes me wonder if a lower oil like Mobil 1 makes a small improvement, what a top tier one like Royal purple would do. Unfortunately my Suv goes through oil like a pair of teen age boys go through groceries. Some day if I get a car/truck that doesn't go through a quart every 800 miles, I'd probably give it a go. For now the $5.99 a quart Mobil's got to do.

I sent a sample of Royal Purple to Blackstone. It was in my 2011 Mustang GT for 15 months/1300mi/K&N filter. There analysis was, is was a 'nice' sample. All specs were still good. They claim I can run it 2yrs with such low miles.

Velvet79

Reaction score

Thank you!!