Oil filter adaptor gasket replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

northernexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to do the oil filter adaptor gasket, I just did the oil pan gasket today and haven't added oil yet. Since the oil pan gasket is leaking I'm sure this gasket is next to go so I may as well take care of it now before it gets cold outside.

I'm not worried about the oil because the motor is dry. My question is, does the coolant have to be drained completely as well? Will I just lose whatever coolant is in the adaptor housing and area around it or will all the coolant in the system pour out until it's empty?

Also, is there a risk of the coolant or oil lines contaminating each other when the adaptor housing is removed?

Thanks in advance guys, I'm just going over all the what ifs in my mind before I do the job in the morning.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drain the cooling system completely. If you don't once you open the system at the adapter any coolant in the system that is above it will empty out. Replace the coolant if it is at the end of its life.

Last edited:
OP
OP
northernexp

northernexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I had a complete coolant flush last fall so I was hoping I wouldn't have to touch the coolant system.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on what was put back in. Green is good for 2 years, the others are usually extended life so you are probably OK.

Last edited:
OP
OP
northernexp

northernexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info stamp, you are a great help to everyone on this site

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
F.Y.I.

Make sure you get the right gasket. There are two one for the filter on engine and filter behind bumper. If changing the relocation adapter change your o-rings while your there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
northernexp

northernexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sue you get the right gasket. there are two one for the filter on engine and filter behind bumper. If changing the relocation chnge your o-rings
Thank you, I bought the correct gasket, my oil filter is on the block, and I changed it on Monday, even though it wasn't leaking I've heard that it does tend to go around the same time as the oil pan gasket which I just changed also.

Are there o rings for this setup as well or only on the relocation type setup?

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil Relocation Adapter Hose O-Rings

The Block Adapter has just the gasket.
The Oil Relocation Adapter Hose Adapter O-Rings:
These are not available unless you replace the whole hose which dealer has a price around $200.00 or more. The dealer even checked their o-ring selection no good. Autozone, Advance Auto, and O'riely's Auto do not have them either. Do bother with the Dorman "Help" section either I bought the multi pack with different two of each size thought I saw two in there no good as well (to thick). This would probably explain why mine had black silicone on it to make a seal. I went to Home Depot and found o-rings in plumbing. I bought six packs of about the same diameter about $3.00 each. I did not want to make multiple trips I had already spent over an hour driving around looking for these. Found the right size they were black so should be the same material. I'll see if I can post the size. Once my engine running I will periodically check for leaks and post back status. I did get A/C o-rings after the fact looks like they might be in there but theses are made for Freon and are green, in case they leak.

Last edited:
OP
OP
northernexp

northernexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, that dorman o ring kit actually worked for me on one of my cars at the oil cooler o ring. I wanted a oil filter relocation kit for the expedition but I'm realizing it might be more trouble than it's worth, and the oil filter is easy enough to get to

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the oil filter adapter gasket recently and as Stamp said you will need to drain the coolant also. I just pulled the lower hose off of the adapter and had a bucket underneath. I made a conglomeration of extensions to reach a couple of the 4 bolts way easier. Not really a difficult job, just akward.