Oil filter drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neighborhood Mech

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it. Is it normal for there to be a pool of old oil under the oil filter on a 2015 3.5 Expedition? I did an oil change for a friend and when I wiped off the newly installed oil filter the parts of the shop towel that were hanging down around my hand came out soaked in black oil. I saw that there is a tube to guide the oil to the drain access in the rock guard. Does the oil sit in a pool untill it can drain through that tube? Thanks in advance.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my '11 the oil from the filter adapter drips straight down behind the misnomered drip tray. Brilliant design.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it. Is it normal for there to be a pool of old oil under the oil filter on a 2015 3.5 Expedition? I did an oil change for a friend and when I wiped off the newly installed oil filter the parts of the shop towel that were hanging down around my hand came out soaked in black oil. I saw that there is a tube to guide the oil to the drain access in the rock guard. Does the oil sit in a pool untill it can drain through that tube? Thanks in advance.
There is a small probably 10x10 overflow pan up there with only one corner leading to the down drain. If you Jack the truck up in the front for your oil change anything that leaks out of the filter will flow backwards and down the spout. Like it was designed to do. Afterwards take a rag up there and wipe up residue instead of letting it sit there

sulatek

Reaction score
There is a small probably 10x10 overflow pan up there with only one corner leading to the down drain. If you Jack the truck up in the front for your oil change anything that leaks out of the filter will flow backwards and down the spout. Like it was designed to do. Afterwards take a rag up there and wipe up residue instead of letting it sit there
Miserable design no match for clean good work /
I noticed that when I lift the 2009 car from the front,
I found the oil emanating from the filter spills out to the back.

The best design for the filter position is that it is vertical and its opening is upwards and away from touching the ground

فلتر زيت.jpg

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's is a plastic guide beneath the oil filter. If you loosen the filter slowly to allow the oil to drain slowly, most of it will fall into that guide and drain out through the removable panel in the plastic shield. The drain speed may also vary based on the angle of the vehicle. No clean change here if done quickly.

Y2KFirehawk

Reaction score
com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F04%2FXO5W50QGT.jpg
Some years back I read on here a pro tip to manage the oil mess. Take an oil quart bottle like the above, cut around the front label shape basically. Shove this up and under the oil filter and it will catch the oil when you remove the filter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357