Oil inside spark plug holes on 2008 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpyOnly

Reaction score
My expedition has 250k miles. The engine was running rough with a misfire code. I changed the spark plugs and coils and I found oil on two of the plugs and coils. After researching forums, others seem to say it's the valve cover gasket, so, I bought a new one and I'm now waiting for the parts to get here. But, my concern is how could it be the valve cover gasket when there are no spark plugs going through the valve cover. I got a P0302 code. And as you can see, that's the area where the oil was leaking into the plugs around cylinder 2. There was also oil inside the injector plug. Do you think replacing the valve cover gasket, plugs, and boots will fix this?
20220102_233327.jpg

HebertoGSX

Reaction score
Hi, I also had the same problem with my 07 Expy, turns out it was the spark plug I was using and also the torque applied to the plug.
I previously used Champion 7989 (in order to avoid stuck plugs) but it seems their design allows some oil to get to the boot.

I replaced it for a Motorcraft SP-546 and it solved the problem.

Please see this video from Ford Tech Makuloco (excellent for the 5.4l 3 valve engine)