Oil plug quick release

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have used Fumoto valves in the past and liked them a lot. Haven't looked at them for the expedition though.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$80 for an oil plug that doesn't even drain all of the oil out of the pan? I don't think so.......

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I had a Fumoto valve on my 05 F350 diesel. I loved it. No problems in 100k miles. I would never buy that Ronin one. Mainly because of the second piece you have to keep track of, but Scottorama is right too.

Foghorn

Reaction score
I bought one of those (several years ago) when Fram made one. It had the valve cover and a connecting hose to screw on and let it drain right in the pan.. the downside (aside from leaving oil in the pan As Scottorama mentioned) It took forever to drain the oil.. it was probably a .25 in hole at the largest and then with the valve system it just added to the restriction on the flow. It worked as intended but the last thing I want to do is add to the time it takes to change the oil... I'll do a little extra cleanup and still be finished before that thing would finish draining. Just buy yourself a big pack of the nitril gloves and roll on.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Stahlbus and similar we use extensively in aviation. A long drain tube is attached to the '2nd piece' plug. Saves a lot of time but does drain slower, and at most might leave 2 ounces of oil in the pan. You store the drain tube with your catch pan because its a mess and otherwise is subject to getting lost or misplaced.

mikeyanxu

Reaction score
I had fumoto drain valves on two vehicles. The main reason for me to install them is to avoid stripped threads in aluminum oil pans.

I do safety wire the valves and add a rubber cap to the spout as a backup.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't realize these had the plastic drain plug thing. I am expert at making a mess when I change oil, so I can't wait for this one!